Salame di Cioccolato

Eating this reminds me of Christmas. Something about orange and chocolate. Don’t be off-put by its name, there is no meat in this salami, it is purely dessert. It only looks like salami and tastes like Christmas on a dish. You can add whatever nut, liquor, flavoring or cookie you would like. One can get very creative, I am thinking graham crackers, tiny mini marshmallows, and chocolate chips. But there is something sophisticated about chocolate and orange. I think next time I will try this with 2 packages of Choco Leibniz Cookies for a deeper chocolate flavor.

Salame di Cioccolato
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 pasteurized egg yolks
1 T. Grand Marnier
2 T. sugar
3 T. unsweetened good quality cocoa
zest of 1/2 orange
3 T. finely chopped toasted walnuts
7 ounces tea biscuits like Leibniz

Pour cookies into a zip top bag and crush with a rolling pin, set aside. In your mixing bowl add butter through orange zest. Mix on medium high speed until mixture is light and fluffy, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl. Add nuts and cookies. Blend well. Turn out mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a salami. Roll up in plastic wrap and twist ends tight. Chill until ready to serve. Before serving sprinkle the salami with powdered sugar. Place on a platter to have your guest slice their own or slice onto a pretty plate and serve.

To give as gifts, unwrap the chilled salami and dust with powdered sugar. Reseal in a new piece of plastic and wrap in waxed or parchment paper and tie ends with kitchen twine. Place a pretty label on your salami.

Christmas is coming fast. What are your favorite from the kitchen gifts?

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Sandi
    Posted 10/18/2010 at 9:23 AM | Permalink

This reminds me of a recipe from (can you imagine) 40 years ago. It had graham crackers, cherries, nuts, and I think condensed milk in it. Oh it was so good. Will try this too. Also reminds me of a sweet treat I had while visiting Italy.

2. avatar Peter M
    Posted 10/18/2010 at 9:38 AM | Permalink

R-Sue…gorgeous…right down to the packaging! I'd buy one…or two.

3. avatar Alison
    Posted 10/18/2010 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

That's it. Everyone one in my family is getting one of these. Thanks for the great and yummy idea!

I love your label:-)

4. avatar the country cook
    Posted 10/18/2010 at 11:56 AM | Permalink

OH.MY.GOODNESS. I have never heard of this before! Too cool… – http://www.delightfulcountrykitchen.com

5. avatar Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted 10/18/2010 at 1:19 PM | Permalink

I've always wanted to make this. It looks delicious :D

6. avatar Lisa
    Posted 10/18/2010 at 2:10 PM | Permalink

Love this! Great gift!I make lots of saltine toffee around Christmas time.

7. avatar Mindy
    Posted 10/18/2010 at 3:31 PM | Permalink

I have a Russian friend who taught me how to make a version of this, but it's been years. Thanks for reminding me…what a great idea for a gift!

8. avatar Deanna
    Posted 10/18/2010 at 4:15 PM | Permalink

My mom used to make something similar, with the little colored marshmallows, then the chocolate gets all around them and she called them stained glass cookies. They do sort of look like that when cut. Oh, she also rolled the outside in coconut.

9. avatar the domestic mama
    Posted 10/19/2010 at 6:11 AM | Permalink

This looks like so much fun to make! YUM!

10. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 10/19/2010 at 9:59 AM | Permalink

I've never heard of this, but I'd like to try it. And I really like the idea of bringing in all the flavors of a s'more!

11. avatar Mimi
    Posted 10/19/2010 at 3:06 PM | Permalink

Fun to make and easy to eat, great gift idea. I love your packaging.
    Mimi

12. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 10/19/2010 at 11:07 PM | Permalink

I've seen this before but usually don't stop. This is actually pretty cool and especially for Halloween. I'm going to bring it over to a friend's for a party. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
    ~ingrid

Btw, I agree with Mimi…love the packaging!

13. avatar Pattie @ Olla-Podrida
    Posted 10/20/2010 at 1:40 AM | Permalink

This is genius! I love it.

14. avatar Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted 10/20/2010 at 4:32 PM | Permalink

Interesting! Never have heard of this before – btw, love your label! Don't know that I can say I have a favorite holiday gift from the kitchen. I just happen to love the entire holiday food experience!! ;)

15. avatar Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted 10/20/2010 at 6:52 PM | Permalink

This looks so fun, and great for gifting!

16. avatar grace
    Posted 10/21/2010 at 12:55 AM | Permalink

that's a dense log of goodness if ever i've seen one. it looks like it might make an acceptable weapon in a pinch, too. :)

17. avatar Karen
    Posted 10/21/2010 at 1:04 PM | Permalink

I made something like this years ago – with crushed nilla wafers and candied fruit. Had forgotten all about it. Love your packaging – looks so pretty! This would be a great gift for neighbors at Christmastime.

18. avatar Barbara
    Posted 10/23/2010 at 7:07 AM | Permalink

These remind me of that Christmas cookie I used to make in the blender. But those weren't chocolate. What a super recipe! And I adore your packaging!

19. avatar Deeba PAB
    Posted 10/24/2010 at 11:24 AM | Permalink

Just so gorgeous… I'd love to have a slice now!