Thanksgiving Cream of Peanut Soup

Have you ever thought about serving soup to start off your Thanksgiving Feast? You are probably thinking, “I have enough food and you want me to serve soup too?” Last Thanksgiving we treated our guests to a Virginia specialty: Cream of Peanut Soup. Now wait, don’t start gagging, this savory soup possesses a great depth of flavor and is a nice compliment to the Thanksgiving Feast. It is not that hard to make and just a little per guest really gets them in the mood for the rest of the meal. I think they will be impressed.

Cream of Peanut Soup- adapted from the William and Mary Cookbook
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/4 cup butter
3 T. flour
2 quarts good quality chicken broth, I use Trader Joe’s
2 cups smooth peanut butter, I use natural
1 3/4 cups light cream
peanuts, chopped for garnish

Saute onion and celery in butter until soft, but not brown. Stir in four until well blended. Add chicken broth, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and rub through a sieve or process it with an immersion blender. Add peanut butter and cream, stirring to blend thoroughly. Return to low heat, but do not boil, and serve, garnished with peanuts. I used Old Bay seasoned peanuts for a kick! Makes about 3 quarts.

For more Soup recipes, click here.

After the best cannoli, comes the winner of the Half Moon Cookie. You guessed it… Maria’s Pastry!

More Thanksgiving Recipes to come next week.
Have a great weekend.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar nancy@skinnykitchen.com
    Posted 11/05/2010 at 9:50 AM | Permalink

Soup is a wonderful way to start the Thanksgiving meal. It only works though if you are not cooking for a huge crowd. This soup sounds really delicious too…Thanks for sharing!

2. avatar Pattie @ Olla-Podrida
    Posted 11/05/2010 at 2:28 PM | Permalink

I have soup to start the Thanksgiving dinner every year and serve it in individual turkey turines. This soups sounds delicious. I had peanut soup for the first time when we visited Williamsburg years ago, but I've never made it. I'm going to give this a try.

I LOVE the pasta bowl. I've been looking for something just like this.

3. avatar Karen
    Posted 11/05/2010 at 5:22 PM | Permalink

I'm not a big fan of peanut anything, but I love the idea of starting dinner with a cup of soup! Those are some huge black & whites there!

4. avatar Lyndsay
    Posted 11/05/2010 at 6:42 PM | Permalink

New reader here. I had to leave a comment because this soup sounds so intriguing. Oftentimes I will do a pumpkin or butternut squash bisque before Thanksgiving or Christmas – this might be a fun way to change things up a bit.

I keep a list of recipes I want to try by my computer and will incude this for later in the month. Will let you know it turns out.

5. avatar Lori
    Posted 11/06/2010 at 2:24 PM | Permalink

Wouldnt have to convince me to eat this. I would love it. I will definitely be trying your recipe.

6. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 11/06/2010 at 10:42 PM | Permalink

Sounds interesting Robin Sue. I like peanut dressing is the flavor similar?
    ~ingrid

7. avatar Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie
    Posted 11/07/2010 at 2:33 PM | Permalink

During the holidays sometimes a little soup and salad is a great meal to break up all the rich, heavy food during this time of year. This looks like it's not too difficult to make and would be a soothing nice thing to enjoy when it's so easy for the nerves to get a little frazzled with all the holiday madness.

8. avatar Lisa
    Posted 11/07/2010 at 5:52 PM | Permalink

I never heard of this recipe before, but it sounds delicious, almost like that wonderful satay sauce I enjoy so much.

9. avatar Mimi
    Posted 11/11/2010 at 5:39 PM | Permalink

I have always wanted to start with soup, but with so much food on the table, I cave at the last minute and skip it. Maybe this year…
    Mimi

10. avatar grace
    Posted 11/12/2010 at 7:10 PM | Permalink

cream of what now? this is totally new to me, robin sue, but i think it'd be tasty for thanksgiving or any day!

11. Posted 03/25/2013 at 6:21 PM | Permalink

Most of my family likes peanuts, so I will have to to try this out. It sounds good for any of the winter months.

As I am trying to lose some weight, I would probably use half and half. But then again that might be about the same as light cream…. hmmm.

12. Posted 04/21/2013 at 8:32 PM | Permalink

I have never made peanut soup, but this sounds great.I have got to try this soon.