Thanksgiving Mashed Potatoes

These are not regular mashed potatoes, they are extra special and only come out a few times a year around Big Red Kitchen. This dish is all dressed up with Boursin. That should say it all.

Boursin Mashed Potatoes
2 lb. bag organic little red potatoes, scrubbed
one package Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese
1 T. dried shallots or dried chives
1 t. Kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper, as much as you like
1/2 cup sour cream

In a large pot of salted water, boil potatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and add to the bowl of your stand mixer or in a bowl to use with your hand mixer. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix on medium speed until the potatoes are creamy and smooth. Place in a pretty serving bowl and top with a tablespoon of butter. Serves 1. No, it serves about 5-6. You may want to double this it is that good.

Note- If you have fresh herbs then use those. If you use the shallots fresh then you will have to saute them a bit to soften.

Preparation Tip: You may make this a few days ahead of Thanksgiving being sure you add a bit of milk so that you do not dry it out in the reheating process. I cover mine with foil and place it in a 350 degree oven about an hour before serving. Do not over-crowd your oven on Thanksgiving Day with too many things to be reheated, it will take forever, trust me. You may also microwave this dish to reheat if you are short on time. You will have to stir it occasionally to get even heating. A great way to keep things all hot and ready to go, is to reheat your dishes a few hours before dinner and place them in a large cooler wrapped in towels. We do this all the time.

More Thanksgiving Recipes
Cream of Peanut Soup
Bûche de Merci

BRK Newsletter is due out this Friday, if you would like to receive, please subscribe if you have not done so in the past.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Rich
    Posted 11/10/2010 at 9:29 AM | Permalink

No, those aren't ordinary mashed potatoes by any means – those look absolutely delicious!

2. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 11/10/2010 at 10:11 AM | Permalink

Yum! I could seriously it the whole bowl by myself. :)

3. avatar Alison
    Posted 11/10/2010 at 10:42 AM | Permalink

Yum! I am usually a mashed potato purist and only like my dad's taters for Thanksgiving, but I would eat these!

4. avatar Jamie
    Posted 11/10/2010 at 12:41 PM | Permalink

That picture is absolutely drool worthy. Adding this to my book marks because I think I might have to have it.

5. avatar Fallon
    Posted 11/10/2010 at 1:00 PM | Permalink

YUM! I love boursin, what a great idea to add to mashed potatoes.

6. avatar Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted 11/10/2010 at 3:34 PM | Permalink

This sounds very rish and wonderful! I am going to try these this year, I love red potatoes- mashed.

7. avatar Mimi
    Posted 11/11/2010 at 5:42 PM | Permalink

Delicious poatoes. I love all your do ahead tips.
    Mimi

8. avatar Karen
    Posted 11/11/2010 at 6:46 PM | Permalink

I saw a recipe for this the other day and it sure sounded good. I know the stove top is usually crowded on TG, too, but I keep my mashed potatoes warm by putting them in a metal bowl, covering with foil, then sit the bowl on top of a pan with barely simmering water. They'll keep warm for a long time that way.

9. avatar grace
    Posted 11/15/2010 at 2:03 AM | Permalink

although i like sweet potato casserole, nothing can top mashed potatoes as my favorite side. this cheesy version rocks, the end.

10. avatar The Menu Mama
    Posted 11/15/2010 at 11:45 PM | Permalink

Oh wow, mashed potatoes are my all-time favorite side anyway, and these look fantastic!