Thanksgiving Savory Corn Pudding

I grew up eating Corning Pudding on Thanksgiving, well we ate lots of things actually. We always started with the Italian Feast directly followed by the American food, if you are Italian you can identify. The corn pudding I had as a kid was always a favorite but now that I am all grown up, I wanted something with a little more pizazz and found it here in Alton’s version of Corn Pudding with a few of my tweaks. Incredible!

Savory Corn Pudding- Adapted from Alton Brown
1/2 Vidalia onion, diced
3 T. unsalted butter
1 t. fresh thyme, minced
1 t. fresh rosemary, minced
1- 15 ounce can creamed corn
1 cup heavy cream
2 eggs
1 t. baking powder
1/2 cup self-rising yellow corn meal mix or Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
1 t. Kosher salt
ground black pepper to taste
2 cups cubed fresh bread

Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, saute onions and herbs in butter until the onions are translucent. In a large bowl mix onion mixture with all the other ingredients and stir well. Pour into a greased casserole dish or into greased muffin foils, or ramekins. Bake the casserole for about 45 minutes or until golden and set. Serves 6-8.

Preparation Tip: I like to make this dish at least 2 days before Thanksgiving and only par-bake it, so only bake it to the point it is set. Then on Thanksgiving day about an hour before dinner, I reheat this dish without worrying over drying it out. Reheat covered with foil at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes or until warmed through. Remove foil and let brown for about 10 minutes.

More Thanksgiving Recipes
Cream of Peanut Soup
Bûche de Merci
Thanksgiving Mashed Potatoes
Thanksgiving Harvard Beets

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar High Plains Drifters
    Posted 11/15/2010 at 12:21 PM | Permalink

Delish!!

2. avatar Val
    Posted 11/15/2010 at 12:41 PM | Permalink

Divine.

3. avatar tamilyn
    Posted 11/15/2010 at 12:56 PM | Permalink

This is a fancier version than ours. We use whole and creamed corn, eggs, Jiffy corn muffin mix, French fried onions, sour cream and shredded Cheddar. It is one of my favorite dishes and I'm making it this year for our feast with our neighbors.

4. avatar Stephanie
    Posted 11/15/2010 at 2:32 PM | Permalink

Looks yummy. My gram always made scalloped corn and it was my favorite as a child. This looks like a nice grown-up version.

5. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 11/15/2010 at 6:15 PM | Permalink

I think this will be made and eaten before Thanksgiving. Thank you very much!

6. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 11/15/2010 at 10:58 PM | Permalink

I've never had corn pudding. Looks good and I love me some corn! :)
    ~ingrid

Hope all has been well with you Robin Sue!

7. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 11/17/2010 at 8:48 AM | Permalink

I bought a can of creamed corn about 2 months ago to try this and still haven't. You've made me hungry for it though, and it's going on our table this week for sure. I like your cheese switch too. Yum!

8. avatar grace
    Posted 11/17/2010 at 7:19 PM | Permalink

i hate when people serve something they call corn pudding but it's more of a spoonbread than anything else. THIS is how a pudding should be!

9. avatar ingrid
    Posted 11/30/2013 at 7:33 PM | Permalink

I made this for Thanksgiving and it was by far our favorite new dish! I will definitely add more herbs next time and loved the sweetness and creaminess. I made it on Tuesday night and only baked until set and finished baking as the author suggested. It worked out perfectly!

• avatar Robin Sue