Thanksgiving Yummy Yams

By far this has to be my favorite yam recipe. Oh sure, I have had many variations of sweet potato/yam casseroles but is was the cheddar cheese that won me on this one. Kind of like apple pie and cheddar cheese but with dinner, not dessert! I got this recipe from a lady who went to my church. One year she had me and a few other people over for Thanksgiving like Buddy Ryan, if you are an Eagle fan you should remember him. This lady’s hubby was the offensive coordinator of the Eagles, Ted Plumb, and a super nice Sunday School teacher. I hounded her for the recipe and she kindly gave it over. I hope you give it a try. It is very different from any other variation of sweet potato/yam casserole that you have ever had.

Yummy Yams- Mrs. Plumb
4 yams
2/3 cup sugar
sprinkle of kosher salt
4 T. butter
1/3 cup heavy cream
sprinkle of cinnamon
1 1/2-2 cups sharp or mild shredded cheddar cheese

Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Peel and cut yams into finger-sized pieces. This will be hard so you may want to microwave the yams for 2 minutes to soften. Spread yams evenly in dish, sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, and salt, pour cream over top, and dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees covered with foil for 60 , minutes or until yams are fork tender. Uncover and top with cheese, bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serves 8-10.

Note- Do not cook this at a higher temp or the sauce will “break.” What I mean by this is that the butter and cream will separate. The sauce should turn out thick, sweet, and creamy.

More Thanksgiving Recipes
Cream of Peanut Soup
Bûche de Merci
Thanksgiving Mashed Potatoes
Thanksgiving Harvard Beets
Thanksgiving Savory Corn Pudding

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 11/17/2010 at 8:32 AM | Permalink

I'm not a big fan of the typical sweet potato dish served up super sweet w/ marshmallows, but the cheese in this one would win me over. You kept the skins on?

2. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/17/2010 at 8:49 AM | Permalink

oneordinaryday- I peeled them. Micro'ing them helps to get the peels off and cutting too.

3. avatar ~Molly~
    Posted 11/17/2010 at 10:31 AM | Permalink

My girls and I are huge fans of sweet potato fries and we leave the skin on. It doesn't really make a big difference. I sometimes will microwave a sweet potato and trick it out with grated cheese, butter, and green onions. YUM!!! This sounds like the best of both worlds, wonder what apples in it would be like? Hmmmm…

4. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 11/17/2010 at 10:51 AM | Permalink

Off the bat I'd have to take a pass but I trust your opinion and I know that my cheese lovin' honey would enjoy this over our normal dish.
    ~ingrid

5. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 11/17/2010 at 10:52 AM | Permalink

Oh, almost forgot. Jeter is indeed named for a certain shortstop. :) Go Yankees! Boo Boston! lol
    ~ingrid

6. avatar Karen
    Posted 11/17/2010 at 5:54 PM | Permalink

I'd never think of cheese with yams, but I love cheese with apple pie, so who knows!

7. avatar Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted 11/18/2010 at 3:24 AM | Permalink

I've never ever done cheese with apple pie but this is totally new to me. Whodathunkit? ;)

8. avatar Mimi
    Posted 11/19/2010 at 7:12 PM | Permalink

I wouldn't have thought to pair sweet potatoes with cheese, but I'm intrigued by the idea.
    Mimi

9. avatar grace
    Posted 11/20/2010 at 1:59 AM | Permalink

i don't know that i could ever be swayed from my love of sweet potato casserole long enough to try a new dish, but i'm loving the name! :)

10. avatar Chef Basket
    Posted 11/22/2010 at 1:50 PM | Permalink

These Thanksgiving Yummy Yams look great! Thanks for the recipe.