Bloody Mary Bites: Big Red Kitchen is 3!

These may be the new Jell-O shot. Only healthier. Most recipes call for simply soaking the tomatoes in vodka but I took it a step further by adding all the flavors of a Bloody Mary. What a way to toast Big Red Kitchen’s third Birthday. I celebrate it as a birthday and not an anniversary anymore because once BRK was born a new me was born too. My creativity was fostered, my identity blossomed, and many new friendships were born. It’s kinda funny, for Christmas my brother-in-law made us all really cool nameplates, one for each of us with our names on them. What do you think mine said? Here is a hint: not Robin Sue. Mine said Big Red Kitchen! I love it. I am Big Red Kitchen and Big Red Kitchen is me. But I made it here because of friends like all of you, so thank you for reading, commenting, and cheering me on even though on some days all I really wanted to do was hit delete!

Let’s make some Bloody Mary Bites, shall we?

To really make these shine and absorb the vodka mix, we must first remove the skins. Don’t roll your eyes it is really easy. Took me 15 minutes and that was with stopping to take photos. Using a sharp paring knife, cut a small “x” at the non-stem end of the tomato.

Have a medium sized pot of water boiling and another bowl of ice water on your counter ready to go. Using a spider or a large slotted spoon, lower the spoon filled with some tomatoes down into the water and count to ten, you will see the skins split. Immediately drop the tomatoes into the iced water. Continue until all the tomatoes have been blanched. Drain the tomatoes and pinch the stem end of the tomatoes and watch them pop from their skins. A few may be shy and need some coaxing. That simple.

Then place the skinless little guys in the vodka bath for 2 hours. Drain and serve with a dish of salt and pepper for dipping. I think you will love my addition of the celery in this.

Bloody Mary Bites
2 pints grape tomatoes
2 cups celery cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup vodka
zest of one lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1-2 tsp Tabasco sauce, depends on how hot you like it
2 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
2 heaping T. sea salt and black pepper mix

Using a sharp paring knife, cut a small “x” at the non-stem end of the tomato. Have a medium sized pot of water boiling and another bowl of ice water on your counter ready to go. Using a spider or a large slotted spoon, lower the spoon filled with some tomatoes down into the boiling water and count to ten, you will see the skins split. Immediately drop the tomatoes into the iced water. Continue until all the tomatoes have been blanched. Drain the tomatoes and pinch the stem end of the tomatoes and watch them pop from their skins. A few may be shy and need some coaxing. Then mix the vodka, lemon juice and zest, Tabasco, Worcestershire, tomatoes, and celery in a 9×13 inch dish up to 2 hours, refrigerated. Drain and serve with toothpicks and a dish of salt and pepper for dipping. To make your own salt and pepper dip, mix equal parts sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Serves 12.

Serving Suggestions: You will definitely want to serve these along with some crackers and cheese, olives, nuts, and other noshes. Served alone, you will have very sloshed guests. Also nice threaded on toothpicks with a cube of cheese. You may also serve them as I have in the photos by dipping the rim of a martini glass in the vodka marinade then again in the salt and pepper blend. Gently arrange the tomatoes and celery bits in each glass and place around your party room. Provide toothpicks nearby.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Kudos Kitchen
    Posted 01/26/2011 at 8:33 AM | Permalink

Oh wow! What an unusual and fun recipe. I love bloody Mary's and I love appetizers. What a great way to combine the two. Happy 3rd birthday to your blog too. Keep up the good work!

2. avatar Fallon
    Posted 01/26/2011 at 11:09 AM | Permalink

Happy Birthday to Big Red Kitchen! You were one of the first few blogs I started reading before I even started my own blog. How did I find this blog?? I can't even remember but I clicked a link to Jalapeno Popper Dip and I was sold!

3. avatar Jenny
    Posted 01/26/2011 at 11:32 AM | Permalink

Happy birthday! Here's looking to many more years to come!

These loom amazing…I have to try them next time I'm throwing a cocktail party!

4. avatar Big Dude
    Posted 01/26/2011 at 11:41 AM | Permalink

Happy birthday to you. This is really unique and since we're bloody mary fans ….

5. avatar Kathy - Panini Happy
    Posted 01/26/2011 at 12:34 PM | Permalink

Happy anniversary, Robin Sue! What a fantastic 3 years it has been, I'm glad to have been following for most of it. :-) I love this appetizer idea!

6. avatar High Plains Drifters
    Posted 01/26/2011 at 12:34 PM | Permalink

so simple and yet new and unique. too cool.

7. avatar Karen
    Posted 01/26/2011 at 1:25 PM | Permalink

Happy Birthday! I'm loving these little bites and think they'd be just perfect during the summer out on the deck using tomatoes from our garden. Now, if Summer would just get here… enough of this snow!

8. avatar Alison
    Posted 01/26/2011 at 6:05 PM | Permalink

Happy birthday BRK! I am so glad we have been able to enjoy your friendship. These bites sound fantastic! Our birthdays are coming up, so maybe I will make them for us.

9. avatar alanna rose
    Posted 01/26/2011 at 9:49 PM | Permalink

Happy Birthday!
    And this is fantastic! I cannot wait to make these, I might have to throw a party just to serve them :)

10. avatar FOODalogue
    Posted 01/27/2011 at 9:05 AM | Permalink

Happy Birthday BRK!

Great idea and so eye-catching. Also thinking it's a fun idea for side dish at bbq.

11. avatar Biz
    Posted 01/27/2011 at 11:18 AM | Permalink

Happy to BRK! And here's to many more. :D

I've enjoyed the last two plus years I've been following!

12. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 01/27/2011 at 12:14 PM | Permalink

This could be on the New Years Day brunch spread. Happy Birthday to you Big Red Kitchen. When you look back at the past 3 years your life has taken some big changes. The Lord has blessed you in many ways.

13. avatar Jackie at Phamfatale.com
    Posted 01/27/2011 at 5:44 PM | Permalink

What a great way to celebrate! Congrats!

14. avatar Coconut
    Posted 01/27/2011 at 10:44 PM | Permalink

Happy Birthday celebrations all around to Big Red Kitchen The Blog, and to your new identity, Robin Sue.

Clever, and fun recipe. Look forward to giving it a try.

15. avatar Miriam Leigh
    Posted 01/27/2011 at 11:05 PM | Permalink

Happy birthday, Big Red Kitchen! What a fabulous way to celebrate.

16. avatar Lil Sis Boombah
    Posted 01/28/2011 at 4:54 PM | Permalink

Ok, I'm going to try these! I love grape tomatoes and am rather fond of vodka as well.
    I'm not much of a cook and work full-time but I'm going to try to do better! I'm sort of lost without the can opener and microwave.
    Great site!

17. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 01/28/2011 at 4:59 PM | Permalink

Kudos to another year of sharing the Big Red Kitchen with us. Can't wait to see what comes next.

ALso want to say thanks for the support and well wishes for my sister and her family!
    ~Michelle

18. avatar Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted 01/28/2011 at 7:28 PM | Permalink

These are so fun! Perfect for a lot of parties but not breakfast ;) Congrats on 3 yrs Big Red Kitchen!

19. avatar Amy K
    Posted 01/30/2011 at 9:00 AM | Permalink

Happy 3rd Birthday BRK. Thanks for your continued inspiration.

20. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 01/30/2011 at 7:06 PM | Permalink

Happy 3rd Bday! Very interesting recipe!

21. avatar Vickie
    Posted 02/01/2011 at 1:04 AM | Permalink

My oh my, these look fabulous! Happy 3rd blogbirthday! (cue balloons and and Bloody Mary bites)