Forgotten Cookies

We have all seen these cookies before, you know the ones you whip up before bedtime, place in preheated oven, then turn off the oven only to find delicious, crispy, light and airy meringue cookies in the morning. Fun stuff. Here is my version which turned out more like macaroons since I left out the sugar, used dates for sweetening, and the coconut for flavor. They are cripsy and chewy all at the same time. Nice.

Forgotten Cookies
Just before bedtime, heat oven to 350 degrees
beat 2 egg whites, stiff, fold in…
2/3 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
10 dates (Sun*Maid- deglet noor), pitted, chopped

Place 12 small dollops on greased cookie sheet (I used a silpat). Place cookies in pre-heated oven then turn oven off. Wake up to crispy-chewy cookies. Makes 12, you decide how many to eat.

About- 44 cal, 2.5 fat, 1 pro, 5.3 carbs each. I used this site for nutritional value.

*Other great add-ins might be chopped almonds and dark chocolate.

These are not going to be as gooey as the typical macaroon which contains sugar and sometimes flour, depending on the recipe you are used to using. This version has a cripsy outer crust and a chewy center, but not gooey. I enjoyed this low carb treat after a tough workout at CrossFit last night, along with a big heap of spicy roasted chicken protein love.

More cookies?
How to Tie-Dye Sugar Cookies
Cranberry White Chocolate Fudge Cups
Peanut Butter Blossoms

Have a great weekend!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Mimi
    Posted 02/11/2011 at 1:50 PM | Permalink

What a nice treatto wake up to.
    Mimi

2. avatar Coconut
    Posted 02/12/2011 at 2:25 AM | Permalink

Mmmm. A great recipe for everyone, and also for someone like me on a gluten-free diet. I use coconut flour, coconut oil, and shredded coconut in tons of recipes.

I also convert many recipes found here for myself, plus use the original ones for others not on the same restricted diet.

Yum, all around.

As always, thanks Robin Sue.

3. avatar sophiesfoodiefiles
    Posted 02/12/2011 at 1:25 PM | Permalink

I didn't know these cookies,..I have never heard of them before,…They look stunning!!!

MMMMMM,…Kisses from Brussels to you!!

4. avatar Story
    Posted 02/13/2011 at 9:24 PM | Permalink

Perfect for a busy mom! Great idea. I might just try these tonight. Did you use large flaked or smaller flaked coconut? Just wondering as it may affect how the egg whites bind the cookie together.

5. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 02/13/2011 at 10:09 PM | Permalink

Story- very finely flaked coconut. Enjoy!!

6. avatar grace
    Posted 02/14/2011 at 3:31 AM | Permalink

you're wrong, robin sue, i've never seen these before! what a terrific recipe, as long as they aren't left forgotten for too long. crispy is good, charred is not. :)

7. avatar Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted 02/15/2011 at 4:00 PM | Permalink

These sound great! Fun treat to wak up to, too!