Wherein They Fight Over Bread

Now that I am filling my gas tank with grocery money, I am looking to lower priced cuts of meats and poultry to feed my family. I am a fan of dark chicken meat and now because it is, and has always been less expensive than breast meat, I find I am purchasing it more often. My three children fight over the drumsticks and while there are only two on a whole roaster, I need to find a chicken with three legs. Enter stage left, the leg quarters. I love the thighs, the kids like the drumsticks, and because Himself enjoys the savings so much, he is not missing the breasts. Smirk. Since the leg quarters come in packs of four or more, there are no more fights for drumsticks. Now there are fights over the bread. Let me explain.

A few months ago on Mimi’s blog Mimi’s Kitchen, she shared that she had roasted a chicken over top of two slices of bread. What? I was intrigued and Mimi was gracious enough to email exactly what she had done. No recipe really, just a method. I tried her method with my leg quarters and my oh my, that bread! It was moist and crispy, almost a fried-like absorptive sponge of chicken juice and flavor- as if it were dressing/stuffing.

And now they fight for the bread. Can a mother ever win?

Here is the quick of what I did…
Line a lightly oiled 7×11 or 9×13 inch dish with bread, we prefer the thick sliced bread, like Texas Toast, as it does not get as soggy as the thin bread. Try to completely cover bread with chicken leg quarters (or your favorite cut), four quarters fit in my 7×11 inch dish, and brush the skin with olive oil, and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper or your favorite seasoning blend- I like Penzey’s Sandwich Sprinkle. Roast in 375 degree oven for about 70 minutes or until juices run clear. If the chicken seems to brown too quickly, tent with a piece of foil. Put your boxing gloves on and get ready for a fight! *This method is meant to be used with bone in, skin on chicken.

Note- The second time I made this, I got too heavy-handed with the oil and the bread was soggy. Don’t do that, because then they fight you that dinner was gross. Monsters.

Note 2- At my grocer the organic leg quarters are quite affordable.

Oh remember that Cooking Connections Virtual Cooking Class I co-hosted last week on themotherhood.com? Well here is the edited version. Not edited because we had potty mouth or anything, but because there was so much information shared that the editors organized it into a clear concise program. Take a peak. That was one fast moving class. While a live video was running, and a live chat streaming, I was typing my fingers off the bone. Now that was fun!

How do you like to roast chicken? And what ways are you cooking to save money?

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar ~Molly~
    Posted 03/23/2011 at 8:41 AM | Permalink

I am in a meat buying co-op and can get leg quarters for $1/pound in 5-pound bags. I its typically 6 to 8 quarters per bag, perfect for our family of 5. Usually I make my own barbecue sauce and smear it under the skins before I roast them on a baking sheet. The bread would probably be a big hit with my kids, will have to try it next time!

2. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 03/23/2011 at 9:21 AM | Permalink

I am definitely intrigued. So the bread gets crispy and toasted?

3. avatar Jennifer P.
    Posted 03/23/2011 at 12:18 PM | Permalink

This reminds me of something my South Louisiana grandmother would make. Her version of chicken-on-toast featured an exquisitely seasoned brown gravy. I've tried to reverse engineer the dish with no success, but I think her technique was similar to yours. I'll have to try this method! Oh, what I'd give to eat her cooking again!

4. avatar Jean - Oksewnsew
    Posted 03/23/2011 at 11:59 PM | Permalink

Holy Moly, I'm drooling on the keyboard!! (slurp)..I must, I must try that..The legs/thighs are my favorite too.. Thanks

Jean

5. avatar Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted 03/24/2011 at 12:25 AM | Permalink

I've always been a dark meat gal myself! This sure looks delicous.

6. avatar Jean - Oksewnsew
    Posted 03/24/2011 at 12:44 AM | Permalink

OH good heavens!!! I am drooling all over the keyboard. (slurp)!! sorry. lol That sound dangerously delicious..The 'dark' meat is my favorite too.. Thanks – plan to try it asap…

Jean

7. avatar grace
    Posted 03/25/2011 at 2:23 AM | Permalink

i'm a lover, not a fighter, but i'd throw my hat in the ring over that bread. and no, a mother can never win. :)

8. avatar woman
    Posted 03/26/2011 at 7:00 AM | Permalink

Wow… this is so yummy… I am really gonna try this …

9. avatar Sheila
    Posted 04/05/2011 at 5:40 PM | Permalink

Got leg quarters for $0.99/lb this week (2 groceries have this sale this week) and used a left over packet of ranch seasoning and some thick bread we got from friends. . . terrific! Definitely a winner.

10. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 04/07/2011 at 11:51 AM | Permalink

Sheila, glad you all liked it. One time I made a huge pan of it and fed a big crowd. I am finding the Texas Toast at Trader Joe's now. Yippee, right by school!

11. avatar y8