Pizza and Wings Part II: Buffalo Wing Meatballs

I worked in Pizza Hut long before wings were on any pizza parlor’s radar, but whoever invented not only Buffalo Wings but that they should be served with pizza deserves a medal or a parade. I mean, as long as I am getting all messy digging into pizza, I may as well add a few napkins to the party and eat some wings. I like my wings with celery to put out the fire and blue cheese dressing for some tang. My kids like ranch dressing. Sillies. What do they know?

This recipe was pretty simple to create since Buffalo Wings have one major flavor- Buffalo Wing Sauce. I tossed in Blue Cheese crumbles for some tang and chopped celery for crunch. Funny thing was, after I made them my friend Sheila reminded me that she had made them too and the recipe was on her blog, Alice and the Mock Turtle. Wish I had remembered that, I would have been able to go to bed much earlier. So now you get two versions! Go see her Buffalo Turkey Meatballs- she mixes the Buffalo Wing Sauce with butter. Swoon.

Buffalo Wing Meatballs
1 pound ground chicken
1/2 pound 80/20 ground beef- ground chicken needs a little fat (and flavor)
3 slices fresh bread, crumbled
2 eggs
3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce, I used Texas Pete’s
3/4 cup celery, finely diced

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients well. Form into 1 inch balls (these are a bit gooey) and bake in 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Makes about 30 meatballs. Remove from oven and brush with more sauce. Place three on a wooden skewer and freeze on a tray. Once frozen, wrap in waxed paper and store in zip topped bags with small cups of Buffalo Wing Sauce and ranch or blue cheese dressing. Pack 1-2 skewers and sauce containers in each lunchbox along with some fresh fruit and veggies and maybe a homemade cookie too. I tell my kids to reheat for about 30 seconds in the microwave since they are defrosted by lunchtime.

Yesturday’s Post- Pizza and Wings Part I: Pizza Meatballs

Need more in your freezer?
Cheeseburgers
Chicken Sandwiches
Lasagna Purses
Pizza Burgers
Pizza Meatballs
Breakfast Cones

What other favorite foods would you like to see in meatball form?

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Lauren at Keep it Sweet
    Posted 04/19/2011 at 12:37 PM | Permalink

Buffalo wings in meatball form, sounds delicious to me!

2. avatar Mimi
    Posted 04/19/2011 at 12:49 PM | Permalink

Look delicious and they just might be a little less messy.
    Mimi

3. avatar Sheila
    Posted 04/19/2011 at 1:29 PM | Permalink

Oh, these would be so good now. I like having blue cheese inside of them. Thanks for the mention:)

4. avatar the domestic mama
    Posted 04/20/2011 at 8:36 AM | Permalink

Oooo, Robin! These are right up my alley! I feel bad I am behind on your posts… but in a way I'm excited! It's like a new magazine! I am loving your freezer meals! :)

5. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 04/30/2011 at 7:30 AM | Permalink

Oh, I bet these are a huge hit at parties. Jim and Sam would love them!!

6. avatar Jess
    Posted 04/16/2012 at 4:54 PM | Permalink

I just got done making the “Buffalo Wing Meatballs”. They came out so good! Not to hot ether if your like me and like your spice to be mild. YUM-O :)

7. avatar Sabrina Roderick
    Posted 05/17/2012 at 11:45 PM | Permalink

I make these often!! They are UH-MAZE-ING!!! I use egg substitute, whole wheat bread, and reduced fat blue cheese. OH!! And Frank’s Red Hot Sauce!! It’s the best!! Thanks for the recipe!!

8. Posted 07/30/2012 at 9:00 PM | Permalink

This sounds like a great party food! Is it 80% beef and 20% chicken? I know it’s written that way, but just making sure. :)

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 07/30/2012 at 9:05 PM | Permalink

Yes, you read it correctly. 1 pound ground chicken, and 1/2 pound ground beef (80/20 lean- or chuck).

9. avatar Lonna
    Posted 12/14/2012 at 9:25 AM | Permalink

Think these would taste okay at room temp? My kids don’t have microwave access. We use laptop lunch boxes and one eats early and the other late. My early bird will often still have hot lunch but my freshman says her lunch that is sent hot is usually down to just above room temp but still tastes good at 1:45.

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 12/14/2012 at 10:05 AM | Permalink

We enjoy things at room temp and like these. We are more picky in my house over flavor than temp, so my kiddos are good with these kinds of things at any temp. thanks!

10. avatar Erica
    Posted 01/01/2014 at 7:53 PM | Permalink

Made these for dinner tonight…LOVED them. Made 2 modifications:
    I used dry breadcrumbs instead of fresh bread. Ended up using about 3/8 cup (1/4 cup then half of that again) and the texture was still great.
    I cooked them for twice as long as recommended. I cooked them on a broiler pan and flipped them after 15 minutes. They ended up being nicely browned on both sides and were cooked through but definitely not overdone. Just some food for thought :) thank you for sharing!!

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 01/02/2014 at 7:33 AM | Permalink

So Happy you enjoyed these!

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 01/02/2014 at 7:33 AM | Permalink

Glad you added your own spin to them!