Look What Happened When Mom Took Away Cereal and Store-Bought Cookies

A momentous occasion happened here at BRK. About three months ago, I was in the middle of placing an LLC on BRK, trademarking, getting ready to do a TV commercial, and preparing to launch my Cooking Salon, all the while still teaching three science classes and girl’s PE. I was one busy and hands off mom. Right at that time, late one night while at the grocery store, in the middle of the cereal isle, I decided to stop buying breakfast cereals and prepackaged cookies. Because I was too busy to cook regularly, my kids were relying on these conveniences too often. Much to their dismay and howling protests, I reported this to my three little angels. They almost hung me out to dry.

So with a very busy mom, and no RTE (ready to eat) cereal, the children went into a fend-for-yourself mode. They started pulling out bacon and eggs, getting up extra early to make pancakes, cooked some oatmeal, started eating more fruit, and even started flipping burgers once in a while for dinner. I even found them rummaging through my cookbooks looking for recipes, then hunting down the ingredients in the pantry to make their creations. Dryden my oldest, seen here in the pictures even took note of my exhaustion one night and made ME dinner- a beautiful plate of Chicken Quesadillas with salsa and sour cream on the side. Wow.

There was plenty of healthy choices in the house, but they did not want them when the cereal was around, their bad, or they were ill-equipped in knowing how to cook the healthier choices, my bad. I took this time to teach Doots how to make homemade chocolate chip cookie bars. I asked him why we were making our own cookies instead of buying them and he said…

1. It’s fun.
2. We spend time together.
3. It’s cheaper.
4. I get to lick the bowl. Hmmm.
5. No preservatives.

Maybe the next step will be baking a healthier version of a chocolate chip cookie by changing up the type of flour, or buying all organic ingredients. Or getting my kids to go completely Paleo and like Paleo Cookies- a nut and fruit cookie pictured above. (Except Zuzu, my nut allergy kid.)

Step by step. Little by little.

Here is an interesting article about breakfast cereals. Breakfast Cereals Americans No Longer Love.

Have you made any changes in your family’s eating?

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Fallon
    Posted 06/07/2011 at 7:22 AM | Permalink

That was such a great idea! I love it.

2. avatar Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted 06/07/2011 at 7:39 AM | Permalink

cooking with my parents is one of the fondest memories i have…it's so fun and truly brings you closer!

3. avatar Mimi
    Posted 06/07/2011 at 11:18 AM | Permalink

I keep a bucket (a way to reuse plastic ice cream tubs) of homemade pancake mix in the pantry, so my kids can make their own breakfast. It's a one to one ratio, so all they have to do is stir up 1 cup mix, 1 cup buttermilk 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 egg.
    Mimi

4. avatar Julieann
    Posted 06/07/2011 at 1:59 PM | Permalink

Yes!!! I love this post!

There is nothing like homemade food:)

I watched the show Extreme Couponing, and I realized I could never be an extreme couponer, because they don't have coupons for fresh produce and staples to me things from scratch…LOL.

Happy Tuesday, Roni Sue!

Julieann

5. avatar So Very Domestic
    Posted 06/07/2011 at 2:55 PM | Permalink

We have been making this change too! I've become scared of all the weird chemicals in prepackages treats! My oldest is just 10, but he can whip up some yummy treats when he gets into it. Great post!

6. avatar Richard
    Posted 06/07/2011 at 3:34 PM | Permalink

My blog Amish Stories is having its first ever contest this week. The First prize winner will win 2 tickets to tour the farm where the 1985 move "Witness" staring Harrison Ford and Kelly Mcgillis was made in Strasburg,Pa . This farm is now Amish owned, and the family has given permission for folks to tour their farm. This may be the last time anyone will be able to walk and see the same things that Harrison Ford and the other actors saw during the making of "Witness". The Witness tour should last about 2.5 hours. In addition to the Witness farm tour tickets, 1st prize winner will also receive 2 tickets for Jacobs choice. There will also be a 2nd place prize, which will be 2 tickets for the Amish Homestead. Please go to My blog http://www.AmishStorys.com for contest details, and more information on the prizes. Richard from the Amish settlement of Lebanon county.

7. avatar Jess
    Posted 06/07/2011 at 4:58 PM | Permalink

This was such a nice post to read. If I had kids I would definitely try this with them – maybe instead I should try it out on myself and see how I cope!

8. avatar BigAppleNosh
    Posted 06/07/2011 at 5:48 PM | Permalink

Wonderful to see the kids embracing the change!

9. avatar Coconut
    Posted 06/08/2011 at 5:03 AM | Permalink

Fantastic about how your children are cooking healthy for themselves, and for you, too. Very sweet.

By the way, I saw your commercial last night during Craig Ferguson's show on CBS.

You are a natural, and I'm betting that there are more spots in your future, and maybe even your very own TV cooking show.

Well done all around.

10. avatar The Abbey Farm
    Posted 06/08/2011 at 11:53 AM | Permalink

Robin,

I loved your post! I am so with you on this one. I'm posting a recipe for some fantastic, Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies on my blog "Dry Socks" http//:theabbeyfarm cooks.blogspot.com. We are trying similar changes at our house and all of my children loved these cookies!

I hope you'll keep posting about your progress. So glad to have accidentally viewed a commercial (we tape a few shows each week and rarely see full commercials)…and
    saw your blog address! Thank you!

Suzy Roeder
    The Abbey Farm

11. avatar Biz
    Posted 06/08/2011 at 2:26 PM | Permalink

I'd definitely say my love of cooking has rubbed off on my daughter, who routinely makes stir fries, quesadillas, cookies, pretty often.

My SIL is a hamburger helper kinda cook – so my nieces only know how to pour cereal, so sad!

12. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 06/09/2011 at 7:03 AM | Permalink

Great post! Kids should relaly learn how to cook for themselves!

13. avatar vanillasugar
    Posted 06/09/2011 at 4:37 PM | Permalink

i am slowly getting there….its hard to give up but i'm getting there. and now we have cookies…all is right in the world again.

14. avatar Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted 06/10/2011 at 11:29 AM | Permalink

So adorable, I love it! I too follow the Paleo/ Primal and my kids do like it! It took some experimenting though…. did you try my Chocolate Cookies (Good enough for breakfast cookies)? Those are Paleo and very healthy :)
    The whole wheat pastry flour would be a good way to break them in, or the whole white wheat flour…..not heavy and still healthy :) We are a no-cereal house for the majority too. They prefer eggs and bacon anyways, when busy I make up 2 dozen hard boiled eggs and 2 pounds of bacon for the week.

15. avatar Miri Leigh
    Posted 06/12/2011 at 12:07 AM | Permalink

Such a creative idea! Love to see kids in the kitchen :)

16. avatar Lori
    Posted 06/14/2011 at 7:05 AM | Permalink

We will try these Robin . My kids like making granola. Only problem is one likes nuts and doesnt like fruit and the other likes the fruit and not the nuts.