Buckeye Bark

I did not bake Himself a Birthday Cake this year, he prefers candy anyway. He loves Buckeyes but I did not feel like rolling balls and dipping them in chocolate- too fussy. I am not saying Himself is not worth the fuss, I am saying it is not my talent to get perfectly shaped Buckeyes- plus I kind of like the rustic charm of this bark. This makes a big batch and the entire process took less than 30 minutes. Now a big bucket of this stuff lurks in our freezer and I am wondering how long it will last. My guess? Not very.

Buckeye Bark
2.5 pounds favorite chocolate candy coating*- white, dark, or milk
1 pound all natural creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 stick butter melted
1 tsp vanilla

Melt 1.25 pounds chocolate according to package directions and spread over parchment paper or a silpat lined cookie sheet. Spread to a large rectangle but not too thin, maybe 1/8-1/4 inch thickness. Place in freezer. In a large bowl whip together the remaining ingredients until smooth and creamy. Spread over first chocolate layer. While it sits in the freezer, melt the remaining chocolate and spread over peanut butter layer. Freeze until set. Break up into small pieces using a butcher knife- hacking away! Serves a crowd. Store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve.

*I used Ghirardelli Chocolate Candy Coating. I think I will try this again with real chocolate and I bet white chocolate would be great around Christmastime.

Stay Tuned In…
I am joining Sandy of Reluctant Entertainer for “31 Days of”. Not only will I continue to share some nifty recipes and ideas, I will tell you about some things that happen behind the scenes over here in BRK, especially in the department of Life Planning and living out our dreams. If you don’t want to miss a day, subscribe to my RSS feeds.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Fallon
    Posted 09/26/2011 at 7:50 AM | Permalink

Yum yum! I'm a huge fan of chocolate bark treats, just love what each one can offer differently. I like your interpretation of a buckeye, I don't blame you on rolling tons of little PB balls. ;)

2. avatar Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted 09/26/2011 at 7:59 AM | Permalink

this is not what i needed to see at all this morning…now i'm going to be dreaming about buckeye bark all week!

3. avatar vanillasugarblog
    Posted 09/26/2011 at 10:46 AM | Permalink

you are wicked. and I am so making this LOLOL!

4. avatar Biz
    Posted 09/26/2011 at 11:23 AM | Permalink

My husband prefers pies on his birthday – this year was pecan pie! There is one piece left and I'll be glad when its gone – I usually don't have a sweet tooth at all, but I kept finding myself with a fork and taking little bites – no wonder I didn't lose weight this week!

5. avatar Inspired by eRecipeCards
    Posted 09/26/2011 at 11:56 AM | Permalink

Good luck with the posting challenge. It's not always easy to find the time.

And I love this idea. My wife always wants that candy cane bark made for Christmas… i am sure I would like this peanut butter bark better!

6. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 09/26/2011 at 9:21 PM | Permalink

love this idea. Once I can eat sugar again, I am going to try these out. They look soooo good.

7. avatar Mimi
    Posted 09/27/2011 at 1:33 AM | Permalink

Great way to make short work on Buck Eyes. I'm all for short cuts.
    Mimi

8. avatar Jacci
    Posted 09/27/2011 at 7:01 AM | Permalink

Oh my! I am an Ohio "Buckeye," so this recipe is fitting. Love that it is a bar version!!! Buckeyes are my hubby's fave, so he will thank you when he tastes these! I adore every little thing that you post. You are so inspiring in and out of the kitchen. Wish I lived closer to take a cooking class from you!

9. avatar Lauren at Keep It Sweet
    Posted 09/27/2011 at 8:19 AM | Permalink

This was such a good idea, I love it! Great idea for a birthday candy.

10. avatar Kelly
    Posted 09/27/2011 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Yum, I will have to try this. Chocolate and Peanut butter anything, husband and I love!

11. avatar Lady Amalthea
    Posted 09/28/2011 at 1:56 AM | Permalink

I've never heard of Buckeye but it sounds delicious! And I love the idea of Bark instead.

12. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 09/28/2011 at 2:50 PM | Permalink

Wow, those puppies look delish! So delish that I'm certain I alone could make quick work of eating them. I'm not ashamed to admit that (: Anyhow, can tin foil be used in place of parchment paper? I had a strange reaction to parchment (I'm gluten free) and am kind of scared of trying it out again! Thanks for such a wonderful blog too, it's always a pleasure reading along.

13. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 09/28/2011 at 6:17 PM | Permalink

Anon- I guess you can use the foil but I would butter it first just in case the chocolate decides to stick.

14. avatar Becki's Whole Life
    Posted 09/28/2011 at 9:01 PM | Permalink

This sounds like a great idea – love buckeyes! I am like you – not usually a big fan of doing the rolling and dipping of cake balls or traditional buckeyes – this is definitely my style:-)

15. avatar grace
    Posted 10/01/2011 at 5:28 AM | Permalink

i hate, abhor, and loathe dealing with melted chocolate, so your bark idea is all kinds of brilliant as far as i'm concerned!

16. avatar Mary
    Posted 11/19/2011 at 11:51 PM | Permalink

I've been looking for ideas for homemade Christmas goodies (I'm planning ahead) and I don't have a lot of time, so this is perfect! Thank you!

17. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 11/29/2011 at 7:16 PM | Permalink

Could you use almond bark instead for the chocolate?

18. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/29/2011 at 9:22 PM | Permalink

Anon- Yes you can use almond bark, candy coating, or chocolate.

19. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 12/11/2011 at 12:12 PM | Permalink

I LOVE Buckeyes and this is brilliant. Here is my concern/question though. We always give a variety of homemade goodies to friends, neighbors and teachers every Christmas. I'm worried that once the bark comes out of the freezer and gets packaged in the goodie bag, it will melt and get all gooey. Anyone have any experience giving this to someone where it wasn't able to stay frozen?

20. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/11/2011 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

Anon- I gave some to a friend stacked in a Mason Jar. I took it out of the freezer, put it right in the jar. The PB layer will soften up, but is creamy and wonderful. Yes not as neat as the ball version, but still delicious. It may smear a bit on the goodie bags, so you can wrap in plastic wrap first and then into the bags. I have also set a plate of it out on the table and found that the PB layer will even set up a bit. Great for last minute company! Hope you give it a try!

21. avatar Kristy
    Posted 12/11/2011 at 7:16 PM | Permalink

Thank You! I make Buckeyes every Christmas and get sooo sick of rolling and dipping those little balls, but everyone loves them so much that I keep making them. I'm making bark for sure this year.

22. avatar Amy K
    Posted 12/13/2011 at 6:23 AM | Permalink

I made your buckeye bark yesterday, but added some broken pretzel pieces on top of the peanut butter layer.

I think my husband was eating it as fast as I could break it apart.

Thanks for sharing a great recipe to add to my treat trays this Christmas!

23. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/13/2011 at 9:56 AM | Permalink

Amy- pretzels sound like a great additon! Thanks for coming back and letting me know you liked this recipe!

24. avatar courtney - larking.
    Posted 12/13/2011 at 3:14 PM | Permalink

I was thinking about trying this with a different kind of nut butter — like cashew or almond. Thanks for the recipe (found you via Pinterest)!

25. avatar Melissa @ LoveBugLiving
    Posted 12/27/2011 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

Buckeyes are a favorite in our house and these look so much easier to make! Can't wait to try them! I featured them on my pinterest finds post. http://www.lovebugliving.com/2011/12/pinterest-christmas-inspiration.html

7 Trackbacks

1. By Buckeye bark on 10/14/2012 at 2:53 AM

[...] bigredkitchen.com via GO Shop 1017 on Pinterest Filed Under: Delish [...]

2. [...] Caramel, Marshmallow and Bacon Bark from Endless Simmer Buckeye Bark from Big Red Kitchen Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Bark from Brown Eyed Baker Salted Chocolate Pretzel [...]

3. By Sickness…no bueno. on 01/02/2013 at 11:32 PM

[...] 3)  Buckeye Bark.  [...]

4. By Buckeyes | Jen's Favorite Cookies on 01/28/2013 at 7:01 AM

[...] Butter Bars from Jen’s Favorite Cookies Buckeye Bark from Big Red Kitchen Buckeye Truffles from Six Sisters [...]

5. By Buckeye Bark | Hoping in God on 12/21/2013 at 7:16 PM