Mason Jar Meals: Fair Food Edition- Corn Dogs

Lately I have been taking my children’s favorite lunches and converting them to Mason Jar Meals. This means that original recipes are being baked up or packed in jars for their lunches. With a little creativity and adaptability I have been able to surprise them with some really fun, homemade lunches. Do you remember your first Corn Dog?

Corn dogs are a favorite Fair Food for most, but are so doggone greasy. Years ago I came up with this baked version that we all enjoyed very much.

Now to just get it into a jar…

Baked Corn Dogs in Mason Jars
3 cups yellow self-rising corn meal mix
6 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar

6 hot dogs cut in half- I like Applegate’s organic/uncurred

Preheat oven to 375°. In a stand mixer, mix all of the ingredients together leaving out the hot dogs of course! Once the mix is smooth, pour into 12 very greased 1/2 pint mason jars- filling to a scant 4 ounces. Place the hot dogs in the batter according to the picture, standing right up in the center of the batter. Bake for 2o minutes or until corn bread is cooked through and golden. Let cool slightly, then run a sharp knife around each corn dog to loosen from the side of the jar. Let cool completely, lid, and store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve. I have my children remove their frozen lunches from the freezer the night before school to defrost overnight in the refrigerator. To reheat, remove lid and microwave for about 45 seconds or until desired temperature. Glass will be hot, so take caution. If you ran the knife around it well, it should slide right out of the jar! Serve with a side of mustard or ketchup, or even chili and cheese. Makes 12 Corn Dogs.

NOTE!- If you would like these baked and on a stick, then stick a stick down through the hotdog before placing in the batter. Bake the same, run a knife around the jar to loosen the corn dog, and remove from jar by turning the jar over and letting the corn dog slide out. Makes a very cute presentation on a buffet, but I did find it a bit harder to eat off a stick, just like real corn dogs- always biting into that dang stick!

Many have written me saying that their school does now allow glass jars. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water! It is a good idea to fill your refrigerator with Mason Jar Meals for busy nights, after-school snacks, and to share with a neighbor who may be ill or just had a baby. I have jarred up leftovers for “fend for yourself nights” when I do not feel like cooking. What a lovely break!

Scroll through here for some more Mason Jar Meal ideas.

Tomorrow- Mason Jar Meal: Fair Food Edition- Sliders

Happy Birthday Dad!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted 10/31/2011 at 8:18 AM | Permalink

these sound SO fun! and just in time for state fair season too :)

2. avatar Mimi
    Posted 10/31/2011 at 3:13 PM | Permalink

What a great way to make corn dogs.
    Mimi

3. avatar Jennifer Carden
    Posted 11/01/2011 at 3:55 PM | Permalink

Love this idea, we are a no waste school so the jars are perfect. I make things in mini jars for her lunch but I will try this for sure.

4. avatar grace
    Posted 11/03/2011 at 9:40 AM | Permalink

the mason jar company totally owes you beaucoup bucks for all the publicity you're giving them! this is another brilliant idea. :)

5. avatar sophiesfoodiefiles
    Posted 11/04/2011 at 1:56 PM | Permalink

Waw!! I never tasted corn dogs before & made in those special jars as well! waw!

I must try this tasty version too! ;)

6. avatar Kendra
    Posted 01/11/2012 at 8:31 AM | Permalink

Maybe you could get Ball/Kerr to sponser your Blog or send you various jars to feature… Just saying… I have used Mason jars to store cut up produce and vac sealed using my Foodsaver(they make a widemouth jar attachment) for years but never thought about leftovers, chalk it up to Mommy brain. I hate plastic and happily most jars use the same lids. Since I also can I reuse the lids that cant be re-pressure sealed.

Question about the recipe. I have corn meal but not the mix you refer to. Can I use plain cornmeal, flour and add baking powder? Do you know the ratio?

FYI a great protein pick me up that works great in the little jars. Cottage cheese, tomato, fresh herbs or salt and pepper and green onion. or Cottage cheese/yogurt with fresh fruit.

• avatar Frieda
      Posted 07/31/2012 at 4:29 PM | Permalink

Kendra, I can’t find SR Corn Meal Mix since I moved to the Southwest so I use a 3:1 ratio meal to flour. The baking powder/soda depends on how big a pan of corn bread I’m making. (I don’t do corn dogs, but these ARE cute! I may have to try them!) I take the amount in the biscuit recipe on the baking powder can (2 C flour) & if I’m making a small pan it’s also 2 C total so I use what’s listed. If I’m making for a crowd, I have 4 C meal/flour mix so I’d double it. Also, I use buttermilk so I add baking soda as well, a scant 1/4 & 1/2 tsp respectively. I wouldn’t advise this for the corn dogs tho. It might get too “puffy”!

7. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 01/11/2012 at 9:34 AM | Permalink

Hi Kendra- Ball/Kerr! Now that would be cool to work with them. The jars have been a lifesaver to us here in the BRK. Here is a recipe I found for the SR corn meal mix…

Hope that helps!
    Thanks,
    Robin Sue

8. avatar AmyS
    Posted 09/30/2012 at 12:15 AM | Permalink

These are so great! My kids love the notion of them as much as the actual eating of them. The first time I made them, I used a just-add-water cornbread mix. I know, lazy, but it did the trick. The next time, I used your recipe. It tasted good, but didn’t support the dogs as well. They all fell over during the early stage of baking. Any tips on keeping the dogs standing up straight in the lighter batter?

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 09/30/2012 at 12:53 PM | Permalink

Mayber stick a stick in them and cover with foil and the stick coming out of the foil to hold it in place? Just like popsicles in dixie cups.

• avatar AmyS
      Posted 09/30/2012 at 8:12 PM | Permalink

Thanks, Robin Sue. Since I’ve got like a million lids, I could put a slit in the top of a few of them and use popsicle sticks in the dogs. I haven’t tried it yet, so I hope I don’t ruin too many before I get it right. Hahaha.

9. avatar Kay S
    Posted 10/17/2012 at 1:59 PM | Permalink

Can you freeze these and reheat out of the jars?

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 10/17/2012 at 3:57 PM | Permalink

Yes! Enjoy

10. avatar eva holloway
    Posted 02/19/2013 at 1:21 PM | Permalink

how about using the small jars and use the little party hot dogs? put them on a tray and let them use the toothpicks
    Eva

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 02/19/2013 at 6:54 PM | Permalink

Good idea!

11. avatar Linda
    Posted 02/19/2013 at 5:43 PM | Permalink

Please, do not do this ! Ball states their jars are not oven safe and can explode. They cannot tolerate the dry heat of an oven.

• avatar Joey
      Posted 09/02/2013 at 4:29 PM | Permalink

Seriously? You can’t put them in the oven but you can pressure them or cook in boiling water for an hour? I don’t believe that.

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 09/02/2013 at 6:06 PM | Permalink

Huh? These are baked in the oven. I put them in the oven all the time

12. avatar steph
    Posted 02/23/2013 at 1:11 PM | Permalink

any suggestions for making the batter with almond or cocnut flour?

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 02/23/2013 at 5:25 PM | Permalink

No I haven’t tried those flours out with this yet.

13. Posted 08/03/2013 at 9:27 AM | Permalink

what a freakin’ cool idea!

14. avatar dixie
    Posted 05/03/2014 at 7:06 PM | Permalink

You can seal jars in the oven (my family gas done it for years) just like you would in a pressure canner. Yes jars can break but that doesn’t happen often. This is a great idea

15. Posted 05/04/2014 at 6:55 PM | Permalink

I gave these a test run tonight for my daughter’s birthday party next weekend. She gave them a big thumbs up and said that she wants me to make them for the party (a pretty good review – she’s a tough critic!) Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe~

7 Trackbacks

1. By 10 Mason Jar Tailgating Food Ideas on 10/15/2012 at 1:08 PM

[...] Kids will absolutely love these corn dogs from Big Red Kitchen. [...]

2. By Can I Drink Almond Milk On The Paleo Diet on 03/13/2013 at 9:23 AM
  3. [...] Via: bigredkitchen.com [...]

4. [...] Via: bigredkitchen.com [...]

5. [...] About Ballart Smooth Jar Regular: Salad in a Jar Mason Jar Meals Soup Mix In A [...]

6. [...] Corn Dogs [...]

7. [...] question. Is it just me or have Mason Jars taken over Pinterest?!? There are Mason Jar burritos, Mason Jar corn dogs, Mason Jar baby bottles. My friend Caroline even made her very own Mason Jar art [...]