More Mason Jar Meal Ideas Part II

Now for that bottom shelf. Who doesn’t like a little pudding after a meal? Especially after a nice and easy (super easy!) creamy chicken curry? Here we go, jars 5 and 6 revealed…

5. Homemade Tapioca Pudding- Make tapioca according to package directions on the side of the Minute Tapioca box. I like to add an extra egg and vanilla. I also let this cool to room temp in a large bowl with a piece of plastic wrap down right on top of the pudding so that it would not get that film on top- that would be game over for me if my kiddos got some pudding glop in their mouths. I doubled the recipe which filled 12 four ounce jelly mason jars. My kids have also requested my Rice Pudding. Next time.

6. Super Simple Creamy Chicken Curry with Cilantro Lime Rice

1 1/5-2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
16 ounces favorite jarred salsa
1-2 T. curry powder of choice- I used mild for my kids
1/2 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cups basmati rice rinsed 3 times and drained
3 cups water
1 tsp. kosher salt
juice and zest of one lime
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, rough chopped

one lime cut into 6 wedges

In a large skillet with fitted lid, cook chicken, salsa, and curry. Simmer covered for 30 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Using two forks, shred chicken. Place 1/2 cup chicken mixture in a six wide mouth pint jars.

Bring the rice, water and salt to a boil. Lower heat to medium low and cover, simmering until rice is tender and water absorbed. Fluff gently with a fork and add juice and zest of one lime, and cilantro. Fluff with fork until the lime and cilantro are blended evenly. Place 3/4 cup rice over chicken mixture, top with lime wedge, cool completely and lid. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. *I am testing them in the freezer and will update soon to see if the sour cream “breaks”. To reheat, remove lid and lime wedge, and microwave for 90 seconds, jar will be hot, turn jar over into dish to remove contents, squirt with lime juice and enjoy.
Makes 6 lunches.

Note- This would be great with coconut milk in the rice (or the chicken even) but we have coconut allergies here and I couldn’t do it. Give it a go and let me know!

This Curry recipe was adapted from my friend Michelle’s site One Ordinary Day.

Having my refrigerator looking like this, stocked with delicious food for my family makes me happy. It is my dream to have my refrigerator look like this all the time but it takes so much time and energy, often cooking 3-4 hours straight, then having a big kitchen clean up. Dreams are free, carrying them out- a great cost, but worth it. Are you working daily on a dream of yours? What is it?

More Mason Jar Meal Ideas Part I

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Kelly
    Posted 10/12/2011 at 8:20 AM | Permalink

This looks so easy and good! Definitely going to try it :)

2. avatar Neil | Butterfield
    Posted 10/13/2011 at 4:18 AM | Permalink

This curry sounds awesome! You are making me very hungry today.

3. avatar Larissa
    Posted 10/13/2011 at 11:32 PM | Permalink

I love curry…this looks delicious!

4. avatar Kristina
    Posted 10/16/2011 at 4:16 PM | Permalink

I cannot wait to try this chicken recipe! I love coconut, chicken, and curry and mixing them is just heaven! Thanks so much for sharing :)

5. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 12/29/2011 at 7:27 PM | Permalink

Would you leave out the lime and cilantro if using some coconut milk in the rice then?

6. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/29/2011 at 7:40 PM | Permalink

Anon- I think you could leave them in which would make it very Thai-ish. It would be neat to play around with all the flavors to see what's best.

7. avatar Katie
    Posted 01/04/2012 at 11:27 PM | Permalink

I love mason jars! I've been looking for meals that I could pack that can withstand a few hours in a lunch box. I do have access to a microwave, though. As a student, I'm on campus all day! I can't buy my meals every day (and I'm truly sick of sandwiches!).

I love this and your other posts on mason jar meals, but I'm a vegetarian. Any ideas?

8. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 01/05/2012 at 9:55 AM | Permalink

Hi Katie, I am so glad this idea can help you on campus. I remember it was a challenge to eat healthy on campus. I went to a school in PA and they serve very fattening but delicious PA Dutch food! Ideas for vegetarian meals would include soups, stir-fry (do you have a kitchen?), wraps, salads- hot or cold- did you see my warm yam salad? Ooh how 'bout tiny quiches baked right in the jar, I have plans to do that one too. Scroll through all my Mason Jar Meals under labels and most things could have a vegetarian switcheroo! Thanks so much!

9. avatar Mindy
    Posted 01/22/2012 at 2:49 PM | Permalink

I keep making your delicious meals and we keep liking them!! This time I saved the lime and cilantro for on top instead of in the rice- that would have been a no go for the kids- and it was still delish. Thanks again!

10. avatar Emily
    Posted 03/26/2012 at 12:34 AM | Permalink

This looks great! How did the curry work in the freezer?

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 03/26/2012 at 8:11 AM | Permalink

Emily,
      I did fine in the freezer! I thought the sour cream would make the lumpy, but I had no problems.

11. avatar kelly
    Posted 03/30/2012 at 12:02 AM | Permalink

Love this recipe! I’m trying to eat a little healthier so I replaced the rice with quinoa:)

12. avatar Jessica
    Posted 03/31/2012 at 11:33 AM | Permalink

Curry in a hurry is the best! I used canned diced tomatoes instead of salsa ( it’s what I had on hand) and added coconut milk with the sour cream. It came out fantastic! I made jasmine rice to accompany, undercooking it slightly to freeze and the whole thing defrosted and reheated really well.

13. avatar holly h
    Posted 04/22/2012 at 5:54 PM | Permalink

Do the neoprene wine holders only hold pint jars…or do quart jars fit as well?

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 04/23/2012 at 8:12 AM | Permalink

Holly,
      The wine bags hold the widemouth half pints and smaller. They are very tight for the quart size so I would not recommend!
      Thanks,
      Robin Sue

14. avatar Maija
    Posted 05/20/2012 at 8:23 PM | Permalink

I can’t believe how awesome this idea of yours is!
    My son is in residence in a college a couple of hours away. He has only a very small freezer, so I’ve been wondering how I can send him meals. BINGO! I’m very excited! Thank you so much for sharing.

15. avatar Lisabeth
    Posted 06/05/2012 at 9:23 PM | Permalink

Wow!! I just made this tonight for my family. Husband and 17-year old daughter LOVED it!!! It was one of the simplest, but tastiest things I have ever made. My husband has made a complex curry recipe before so he was blown away at how simple this one was with just as much flavor!!! Thank you!!!!!

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 06/06/2012 at 7:13 AM | Permalink

Thank you Lisbeth! We can’t believe how simple and flavorful it is either!

16. Posted 06/28/2012 at 10:29 PM | Permalink

thanks for all the great ideas!

17. avatar Kimberly Rudd
    Posted 07/11/2012 at 8:59 PM | Permalink

Thank you so much for the one of the best and simplest chicken curry recipes I have ever tried! This will definitely going into the keeper file. I thank you for all of the inspiration!

18. Posted 07/15/2012 at 4:39 PM | Permalink

I love all your ideas for mason jar meals and your tried and true recipes. I was wondering if usually dump the food onto a plate or if you eat it right from the jar.

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 07/16/2012 at 8:08 AM | Permalink

Both! Depends on the meal and place. Thank you!

19. avatar June
    Posted 10/28/2012 at 10:31 PM | Permalink

Can these meals be water bath or pressure canned? For all that effort I would like to be able to store the meals in my cupboard for at least two months.

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 10/29/2012 at 12:07 PM | Permalink

I do not do it, and find that most of them do fine in the freezer for up to 3 months. I don’t have time to take the extra time to do canning.

20. avatar Maha
    Posted 01/12/2013 at 3:46 PM | Permalink

This is great idea…thanks for sharing.

21. avatar Mary
    Posted 02/21/2013 at 9:05 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin,
    I noticed one person sorta had my question, regarding sealing the jars — you said you do not pressure seal them, so how DO you seal them? Just screw on the lid?

Also, I think you said you keep them in the fridge for a week, right?

Thanks for posting!

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 02/22/2013 at 8:23 AM | Permalink

Yup, I just screw on the lid. I am not preserving these for longterm room temp storage. I store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freezer up to 3 months. It is like my tupperware but glass and more earth friendly. Enjoy!!

22. avatar Sis
    Posted 08/29/2013 at 3:40 PM | Permalink

Sorry, what is this? 1 1/5-2 pounds

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 08/29/2013 at 9:36 PM | Permalink

A typo:) 1 1/2 -2 pounds.

23. avatar Kelly Blankenship
    Posted 01/13/2014 at 12:04 AM | Permalink

Oh my! I just made a batch of this for lunches this week and I can’t rave enough about how much flavor is packed in this meal! I used coconut milk in the rice and it makes the perfect blend of sweetness to match the spice of the chicken. Superb! Thanks for the recipe.