Cannoli Cones

Ever since my cousin Linda told me that she makes cannoli using sugar cones in place of cannoli shells, I could not shake the idea. Really? Could this work, taste good, and look good too? Would all the Italian Nonnas, past and present, haunt me? I have made my own cannoli shells from scratch once. Once. What a pain they were to make, and after living in Europe and being able to visit any Italian market and return home with cannoli shells for filling later, I will not make them ever again. But I am no longer anywhere near a bakery that would make them for me. Enter the cones. They work, and work well when there is no other way.

Now for the filling. I like a thick ricotta filling that is rich and creamy with a hint of flavor- this time of year I chose cinnamon, a nice Holiday touch. The trouble is, my filling is watery, and until doing a little research I found I need to use Ricotta Impastata, or ricotta “paste.” If you cannot find this type of ricotta, then the closest you can get is making your own by simply draining the ricotta for at least four hours, or overnight in a coffee filter lined strainer. Not the same, but close enough.

These are also quite adorable with the cone dipped in melted chocolate, sprinkled with some seasonal sprinkles, and stood up in plastic disposable wine glasses on your dessert buffet. Top with a cherry for a festive touch.

Cannoli Cones
1 pound whole milk ricotta
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 T. heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp. cinnamon, opt.
6 sugar cones

Line a strainer with 2 coffee filters and place ricotta cheese inside and place strainer over a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight. When ready to use, squeeze out any excess fluid and place ricotta in a large mixing bowl and add sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Mix well. Right before serving, fill a pastry bag or thick plastic bag with filling, snip off the end and pipe filling into the cones. Top with a cherry if you like or sprinkle with chopped pistachio, mini chocolate chips, or keep it very simple and give them a shake of powdered sugar. Makes 6 cones.

Note- Fill cones just before serving to avoid sogginess.
Things to add to the ricotta filling can include- pistachio, citron, chocolate chips, cinnamon, vanilla, or hazelnuts.

Two more easy Cannoli Treats
Cannoli Bites
Cannoli Dip

Best Cannoli in Boston- Maria’s

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Amanda
    Posted 11/29/2011 at 7:03 AM | Permalink

Wow! This is genius!

2. avatar Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted 11/29/2011 at 8:42 AM | Permalink

what a genius idea! i love cannoli but can never justify spending the time to make the dough…this is a lifesaver :)

3. avatar Kelly
    Posted 11/29/2011 at 8:49 AM | Permalink

Oh, man. I want one of these right now. For breakfast. Mmmm… can't wait to try them!

4. avatar Kellie @ Blackboard Kitchen
    Posted 11/29/2011 at 9:37 AM | Permalink

These look really good. I am a huge cannoli fan, but have never tried to make them at home. Such a great idea!

5. avatar Steph@PlainChicken.com
    Posted 11/29/2011 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

OMG – fabulous!! I am going to make these for Christmas. My mom loves cannolis – these look easy and fun! I am going to use Christmas sprinkles on the cones. Thanks!

6. avatar Karen
    Posted 11/29/2011 at 3:22 PM | Permalink

I've never had a 'real' cannoli, but these look delicious!

7. avatar Fallon
    Posted 11/30/2011 at 1:20 AM | Permalink

How cute is that!! Cannolis are amazing, you really need a good filling.

Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

8. avatar Biz
    Posted 11/30/2011 at 9:35 AM | Permalink

I love the presentation! When Hannah was little I used to bake cupcakes in plain ice cream cones – she loved how they looked and at birthday parties the kids could decorate them and just eat them – sometimes easier thank making a cake. :D

Hope you are having a great week!

9. avatar FOODalogue
    Posted 11/30/2011 at 3:54 PM | Permalink

What an elegant looking grown up treat!

I think we're doing your cannoli dip this weekend for a party.

10. avatar Simply Tia
    Posted 12/01/2011 at 7:46 AM | Permalink

Cute and creative! I like!

11. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 12/04/2011 at 3:03 PM | Permalink

If you were here right now, I'd hug you. I adore cannoli and have no means of finding shells where I live, so your quick fix is perfect for me. Can't wait to try them!