Mason Jar Thanksgiving Leftovers

In my opinion, wrapping and storing Thanksgiving leftovers can be a challenge with all those various sized dishes, a giant turkey and ham, and limited refrigerator space. Then you get it all put away to only hear, “I’m hungry” from your precious children, and have to pull the entire ensemble out all over again. For days. Now that we are Masoneats here in the Big Red, the after dinner clean up looks like an assembly line of leftovers being layered in jars for the next day’s lunches, a busy week night dinner, or a freezer stockpile of delicious meals for a rainy day.

How to Masonate Your Thanksgiving Leftovers.

You can always fill jars with leftovers, each item in its own jar, but here are a few other ideas.

Want to be the coolest dude or gal at all those post Thanksgiving Football watching parties? Bring a Turkey Sandwich Kit of turkey slices, cranberry sauce, and cream cheese to make every one’s favorite post T-Day sammies. I layered everything in a quart sized wide mouth jar and placed the spreads in the tiny little 4 ounce jelly jars. Grab a bag of rolls and chips along with your cool kit and you are ready to feast in style. Score.

Those little Turkey Shepherd’s Pies are a breeze to make since you will already have the turkey, gravy, and mashed potatoes. Place equal amounts of gravy, diced turkey, and some frozen peas and carrots in a bowl and stir. Layer in 8 ounce wide mouth Mason jars and top with some mashed potatoes. The only thing I added to my gravy to jazz up these little pies was a splash of good red wine.

No more hum-drum leftovers…

1. When you set up your post Thanksgiving Mason Jar assembly line, ask your family what they would like in their jar, then layer away. I like to keep the veggies separate and layer meat with gravy, and potatoes or stuffing (or both). Meat and gravy should go at the bottom so that when you turn the heated jar over the stuffing or potatoes are at the bottom with all that meat and gravy spilling over top.

2. I did place my cranberry sauce in a triple layer of paper cupcake liners so that I can remove it before heating. You can also use foil or silicone cupcake liners, being sure to remove them before placing jars in the microwave for reheating. I have found that cupcake liners do a swell job at separating layers for those who do not like their food to touch. Swell.

3. Don’t forget the desserts which do a fine job of being layered in jars. Pumpkin or apple pie layered in jars, reheated, then topped with some ice cream. Yum!

SHARING
It is a good idea to make up a few of these jars to send home with family, or friends and neighbors so that they too can enjoy Thanksgiving Day leftovers. But it is also a good idea to share some of the Thanksgiving Mason Jar Meals with the elderly who are housebound, a new mommy who needs a break, or a friend who is sick. Tell them Robin Sue sent you.

Future leftovers! Thanksgiving Recipes
Cream of Peanut Soup
Bûche de Merci
Thanksgiving Mashed Potatoes
Thanksgiving Harvard Beets
Thanksgiving Savory Corn Pudding
Thanksgiving Yummy Yams
Thanksgiving Hot Spiced Cider or Wassail

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving

Work true, play hard, pray long, sleep slow. Love deep.
And be always- Thankful.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted 11/18/2011 at 9:40 AM | Permalink

seriously, SO CUTE! i can't wait for leftovers now :)

2. avatar Naina @ chow bella
    Posted 11/18/2011 at 10:09 AM | Permalink

such a cute idea! I love the little turkey shepherd's pies!

3. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/18/2011 at 11:38 AM | Permalink

Heather- you have to convince your hubby to get you some more jars!!

Naina- Thanks! How is life in Italy right now? Still craving the cannoli and expresso in the photos you shared!

4. avatar Jessica
    Posted 11/18/2011 at 1:11 PM | Permalink

Turkey Shepherds Pie is GENIUS! I will be using that one for sure!

5. avatar FOODalogue
    Posted 11/18/2011 at 5:54 PM | Permalink

You need to pitch your 'mason jar' ideas to a book publisher. Seriously!

6. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 11/19/2011 at 8:16 AM | Permalink

You make me smile. :)
    Love the little turkey shepherds pie!

7. avatar Big Dude
    Posted 11/19/2011 at 8:26 AM | Permalink

I'm thinking the jar makers are loving your new endeavor :-)

8. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/19/2011 at 8:51 AM | Permalink

Jessica- These are so easy to do, I tossed mine in the freezer for future little lunches on cold days- which is now!!

Joan- Yup it is time for a book!

oneordinaryday- Thanks Michelle!

Big Dude- Maybe they will take some notice!

9. avatar Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted 11/20/2011 at 1:13 PM | Permalink

Great idea Robin! Love it

10. avatar Mimi
    Posted 11/21/2011 at 3:11 PM | Permalink

You are just so creative. I'm still marveling about baking the cinnamon roll pan cakes!
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Mimi

11. avatar Biz
    Posted 11/24/2011 at 1:17 PM | Permalink

I am always in awe of your mason jar ideas!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Hope you and your family have a wonderful time at SML!

12. avatar Amy @ Tasty Top
    Posted 11/26/2011 at 3:40 PM | Permalink

How delicious must this recipe be, those pictures alone made my tummy grumble. Looking forward to trying this recipe with my sister.

13. avatar Donna
    Posted 11/27/2011 at 2:30 PM | Permalink

Love your site but can't take much more with the jars!!!!!!!! Enough already please. Can you move on?

14. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/27/2011 at 8:47 PM | Permalink

Donna- suggestions then?

15. avatar Jessica @ Quirky Bookworm
    Posted 11/28/2011 at 10:55 PM | Permalink

What a neat idea! My hubby would love the turkey sandwich in a jar.

16. avatar Julia
    Posted 01/23/2012 at 2:18 PM | Permalink

Genius!!!!! I saw this on pinterest and I'm just staring at it, in awe.

17. avatar Colleen
    Posted 11/08/2012 at 9:03 AM | Permalink

How do you keep the muffin paper liner from getting soggy with the gravy?

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 11/08/2012 at 9:11 AM | Permalink

If using paper cupcake liners- triple them. You can also use foil or silicone cups but be sure to remove before reheating. I have also found that grease-proof liners are my new favorite thing- one will do!

18. avatar Anne McIntosh
    Posted 11/12/2012 at 4:30 PM | Permalink

What a great idea! I rarely cook a big Thanksgiving dinner any more, but we go to friends instead. Now I no longer need to worry about soaked paper plates or returning “to go” dishes! I’ll just take my own mason jars..no fuss, no muss, no worries! Thanks for sharing!

5 Trackbacks

1. [...] dinner is over, sending guests home with leftovers is just one more way to bless them.  I love Big Red Kitchen’s idea for using Mason Jars to easily stack the  leftovers for easy reheating and serving.  And they [...]

2. [...] bigredkitchen.com via Susan on [...]

3. [...] it’s pristine genius! These Thanksgiving Mason jars are unequivocally on my list! Visit Big Red Kitchen to get some-more ideas on how to emanate these fanciful leftover jars including a turkey sandwich [...]

4. [...] to keep snackers happy. You’ll be the envy of everyone in the room if you take one of these Turkey Sandwich Kits to a post Thanksgiving football watching party. Just grab a jar and a bag of rolls and you’re [...]

5. By Awesome Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes on 11/23/2012 at 8:04 AM