Have you ever placed a giant bowl of fresh strawberries on the table with a little dish of sour cream and a little dish of brown sugar for dipping? It’s a lovely combination. Here is my simple paleo version. Place that same giant bowl of fresh strawberries along side two little dishes of coconut cream and toasted coconut flakes. Dip your berries in the coconut cream then into the coconut. Heaven. For more flavor add lemon or lime zest to the cream, or how about a bit of vanilla? Maybe a dish of shaved dark chocolate. Suddenly paleo doesn’t feel so bad. Suddenly it feels a bit romantic.
- 1 pound Strawberries washed and dried
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, **chilled at least 24 hours**
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- zest of one lemon or lime, optional
- ½ tsp. vanilla, optional
- ½-3/4 cup shaved dark chocolate, optional
- Place strawberries in a pretty bowl.
- Remove can of coconut milk from the refrigerator. Using a can opener, punch two holes in the bottom of the can and drain the milk into a bowl. Save for another use. Now turn the can back over to the top and open wide with a can opener. Scoop out cream and place in a small serving bowl. No need to whip.
- To toast coconut, place coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat and cook until fragrant and golden, stirring frequently. Do not move away from the pan, it burns quickly!
- Place coconut in a small serving bowl to serve with the coconut cream and strawberries.
- An option is to stir the zest of ½ -1 lime or lemon into the coconut cream. Or add a little vanilla.
- A small bowl of shaved dark chocolate for dipping is nice too.
- Have your guests dip their strawberries into the cream then into the coconut or chocolate (or both!).
For more paleo recipes, click here.