Mini Paleo Pizzas

My guess is that most of you would call these bun-less burgers. OK, I’ll give you that, but they are nice paleo, protein-packed alternatives to the classic English Muffin Pizza. When I am out and about running errands, I can guarantee at some point my blood sugar is going to bottom out and I will need to get food in me stat, therefore I am trying to create more “small plate” on the go  meals, snacks, and even recovery meals. Hey Ellen, these are great recovery meals! My kids do not want to be paleo, they remind us of that at almost every meal. When I placed these in front of them they yelled, “Hey, these are paleo!” “No they are not,” I said, “they are primal because of the cheese.” “Oh.” they said, end of discussion, and they ate them and liked them, even my most pickiest child. Yay.

Notes on Un-cured meats and being Paleo: I found a nice organic un-cured pepperoni at my Whole Foods. It does not have the nitrites/nitrates or MSG most commonly found in cured meats like salamis, sausages, and bacon.  But it still has a small amount of salt and sugar.  Try to find un-cured meats with no sugar- it is hard to do but they are slowly making their way on the scene. I found out a farmer in the next county over is making some pork un-cured products without sugar and USWellness Meats carries some too. The brand I found at Whole Foods is fine for now considering I eat it so rarely, but I do look forward to trying a sugar-free brand soon, or making my own. Like that will happen.

Two pizzas stack perfectly in an 8 ounce wide-mouth Kerr mason jar for on-the-go-blood-sugar-dump emergencies. Nuzzle your jars against a small ice pack in your lunch box and you are ready to hit your day in delicious style. I enjoyed these at room temperature too.

Who can pass up a lunch that looks like this? Oh wait, my kids. But they did finally and painfully admit to liking the paleo/primal pizzas. Little Turkeys.

Even the lids get a workout here in BRK!

5.0 from 1 reviews

Mini Paleo Pizzas
Author:
Recipe type: snack, recovery meal, small plate
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Serves: makes 9 pizzas

A protein packed paleo pizza for on the go snacking, small meal, or recovery meal.
Ingredients
  • 1 pound pastured ground sirloin
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasonings like Penzeys Tuscan Sunset
  • ½ tsp. kosher salt
  • 4 Tbs. organic no salt added tomato paste
  • 1-2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • pinch more of Italian seasonings
  • ground black pepper
  • Toppings: grated mozzarella (primal), un-cured sliced pepperoni, sliced fresh olives, slided pepperdews, anything else you like on pizza

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Mix together beef, egg, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, and salt until well blended.
  3. Place a piece of plastic wrap in a wide-mouth mason jar lid and press a scant ¼ cup of the beef mixture to the edge of the ring, forming a small patty. Repeat until all the meat is used.
  4. Place the patties on a foil lined jelly-roll pan with edges and bake for 8 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile thin the tomato paste with some olive oil- I liked 2 Tbs. and add a pinch of Italian seasonings and black pepper. Set aside.
  6. Remove the beef crusts from the oven and dab the tops with paper towels to remove excess grease. Top each with a tsp. of tomato paste mixture and your desired toppings. Bake another 5 minutes.
  7. Remove pizzas to a paper towel lined plate, then place on a serving platter or on cupcake paper liners.
  8. Eat immediately or allow to cool completely and stack in wide-mouth mason jars.

PS: I made mine with pepperoni, pepperdaws, and olives, no cheese for me.

For more Paleo recipes, click here.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. Posted 06/16/2012 at 1:01 PM | Permalink

Your lunch presentation would be very hard to pass up.

2. Posted 06/16/2012 at 5:09 PM | Permalink

these actually look really good! my sister is paleo and she just spreads the sausage out on a sheet pan and bakes it, then cuts it into servings. either way as long as it tastes like pizza i’m in!

3. Posted 06/16/2012 at 5:22 PM | Permalink

Yum!
    I wanted you to know that I made a bunch of salads with meat and eggs and layered them all into my jars the other day. Unexpectedly, today I had to go to another town before breakfast so I grabbed a leftover egg cup I had in a jar, wrapped a cloth napkin around one of my salads and a snagged jar of water with mint. They all fit into one of my baskets with an ice block thingy and a fork. I was able to enjoy breakfast on the road and stay true to my Whole 30. Thanks for the inspiration!

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 06/16/2012 at 8:14 PM | Permalink

on the go yumminess!!

4. Posted 06/18/2012 at 2:27 PM | Permalink

a pepperoni and pepperdaw paleo pizza…i like the sound of that. especially if pepper jack were thrown into the mix. :)

5. avatar Ellen
    Posted 06/20/2012 at 1:09 PM | Permalink

I’ll be trying these bad boys soon. Thanks.

6. avatar Ellen
    Posted 06/22/2012 at 5:20 PM | Permalink

Hello Sister,
    When I hit the print recipe button, I got a blank sheet of paper both times. Could very well be operator or computer error but just wanted to let you know. It came up like it should print this beautiful recipe but didn’t. FYI. Thanks.

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 06/22/2012 at 5:45 PM | Permalink

Thanks Ellen,
      When I went to test it, my printer was out of ink- so we are both up a creek! I’ll get some ink this weekend and see what’s up with it. Thanks for the heads up. And stop laughing at my unorganization;-)
      Love ya!
      Robin

7. avatar katelyn
    Posted 01/09/2013 at 4:09 PM | Permalink

Can these be frozen after baking? If so would you please provide any useful tips for doing so?

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 01/09/2013 at 5:58 PM | Permalink

Yes they can be frozen. Freeze on a tray and then once frozen, store in an airtight container. Pull out as you need and reheat in microwave at half power or on the defrost mode for 30 sec increments until heated through. Enjoy!

8. avatar Jen
    Posted 01/26/2013 at 11:17 AM | Permalink

So you can eat cheese with paleo? I thought for some reason that you couldn’t.

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 01/26/2013 at 11:20 AM | Permalink

Cheese is not paleo. My children are not paleo so I put cheese on theirs’ which I guess is more primal, and we have ours without the cheese and just the healthy toppings. I have to cook both ways in our house.

9. avatar Darla
    Posted 02/23/2013 at 8:44 PM | Permalink

I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but Paleo doen’t include cheese or an oven.

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 02/23/2013 at 10:24 PM | Permalink

The cheese was on my children’s pizza’s as they are not paleo. Some Primals will eat cheese as long as it is raw and organic. We ate ours without the cheese to be strict paleo. The oven thing, never heard that one before for paleo- raw diet yes, but most paleos eat their meats, eggs, and even sometimes veggie cooked.

10. Posted 03/10/2013 at 9:32 PM | Permalink

Saw these on Pinterest, Robin, and was delighted to find out that it’s your recipe! :-) I’ve made the meat pizzas, but never a mini version. LOVE these!

xo,
    Shirley

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 03/11/2013 at 11:41 AM | Permalink

Shirley, I am so happy you enjoyed these! Thank you!

11. Posted 04/02/2013 at 9:29 AM | Permalink

Found you on Pinterest and just wanted to say thanks for the recipe! These look great! (I’m a Paleo/Primal/CleanEats CrossFit addict and blogger.) I’ll definitely be back to visit again.

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 04/03/2013 at 5:54 PM | Permalink

Woo Hoo! Glad you dropped in!

12. Posted 04/18/2013 at 3:29 PM | Permalink

Thank you SO MUCH for the genius idea of using the lid as a burger press. Genius! I stole your picture, watermark still intact, with a link-back to this webpage. I had to tell my followers how my patties turned out so perfectly.

13. avatar StephS
    Posted 04/27/2013 at 8:32 AM | Permalink

These sound great. I love the freezing idea. I think I will make a big batch of them, freeze them and have great pint sized meals. The kids will love these.
    Thanks, Robin!

14. Posted 02/13/2014 at 5:50 PM | Permalink

Love the mason jar lid idea!

7 Trackbacks

1. [...] a jar? We found great recipes for salads,  pastas, casseroles, cinnamon rolls, brownies and even pizzas all made in mason jars. The best part of using a mason jar is a mess free, inexpensive, and easy [...]

2. [...] Mini Paleo Pizzas [...]

3. [...] had seen a few “paleo pizzas” on Pinterest, like this one and this one and I had to give it a try. Ground beef is the cheapest cut of meat and when you are buying [...]

4. By Pizza Burger | Catherine_Pomiecko.com on 03/13/2013 at 2:01 PM

[...] Find this recipe (I modified to use a frozen Turkey burger patty, canned tomato sauce, some pre-chopped onions and a shake or two of Italian seasoning and a slice of pepperoni) and others I’ve tried and rated at my Pinterest board, pinned there, done that [...]

5. [...] Mini Paleo Pizzas from Big Red Kitchen – My recipe for regular-sized meatza is here, but these minis would make awesome party food. [...]

6. [...] Mini Paleo Pizzas [...]