Safety first. A few weeks ago my nine year old daughter asked me if I would teach her to cook this summer. I should have been delighted, but instead I was filled with dread. I love that little thing, but when she and I get together for a lesson, it usually ends with her in tears and me banging my head against the wall. You have one of those kids too? We are learning language opposites! But since I am the adult in this situation, I screwed my head on differently to meet her learning style. She is concrete/sequential, while I am abstract/random. Concrete/sequential for the win, in every painstaking, orderly detail.
The first thing I wanted to teach little Dae Dae was that she would be cooking on an open flame, and how very dangerous it was. I purposely caught a towel on fire- much to her shock- to show her how easy it was for fabrics to catch fire, getting us into dangerous trouble. If you are reading this and are ready to leave a nasty comment on how I train my kids, keep it to yourself, I’ll do it my way you do it your’s, but the point is- DO IT!
We spoke extensively about fire, how to put it out, how to treat burns, how to avoid steam burns, how to STOP-DROP-and-ROLL, and how to scream out for help. We also discussed how to call 911. This lesson will be repeated throughout the summer to make sure she understands the severity of fire and burns, and how to be safe in the kitchen. This may seem overkill but I know my kid, Daelyn has to see things repeatedly to learn, she also has to do them. She thought it was a dumb idea and rolled her eyes big time when I told her that she had to now demonstrate to me how to Stop-drop-and-roll. But she did it, all the while screaming her head off for help. Good girl.
1. When I was about 15, I was babysitting two children down the street from my house, and it was my job to cook them dinner. One night the stove caught fire from grease. The flames shot up two feet, and if my Ma hadn’t trained me in how to handle grease fires, I would have had a disaster on my hands.
2. When I was in college, during organic chemistry lab, my experiment exploded. Due to extensive training in lab accidents, another student and I were able to put my burning hand, and lab station out quickly before I was severely burned and the fire spread.
Train them. Please.
And what did The Teen think of all this…
See what I put up with? Send Valium, please.
Anyhow, Daelyn and I will be sharing the recipe she made along with all the lessons I learned from teaching my little girl.
“When one teaches, two learn.”- Robert Heinlein