We went to a big end of school year bash at my brother and SIL’s house the other night. The weather was perfect and the food excellent. The people were pretty great too! In Keeping It Summer Simple (KISS), I decided to bring a 5 Layer Dip, but not just any 5 Layer Dip, a Smoky 5 Layer Dip. This is done by adding bacon and its drippings to the refried beans which has everyone dipping repeatedly until the entire dish is gone in a matter of seconds. You could add all the toppings like olives and chopped tomatoes, or even some lettuce, but I find those 7 layer dips with too many chunks of things ends up down the front of my shirt instead of in my belly. So I stick to a perfectly smooth and unfussy dip that makes it to my mouth every time.
- 6 slices of your favorite smoky bacon
- 1 can organic refried black beans
- 8 ounces or 1 cup favorite guacamole
- 8 ounces organic sour cream
- ½ cup favorite taco sauce
- 2 cups organic shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- Chopped cilantro for garnish, optional
- Tortilla or corn chips
- Dice bacon into small pieces. In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until almost crispy.
- Place refried beans into a bowl. Pour bacon and its drippings over beans and stir well.
- Spread beans mixture into a 9x13 inch casserole dish spreading part way up the sides of the dish too.
- Spread guacamole over the beans.
- Spread sour cream over the guacamole.
- Drizzle the taco sauce over the sour cream.
- Cover the entire dish with cheese.
- Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
- Serve with your favorite corn chips or tortilla chips.
What do you like on your 5-7 Layer Dips? Anything unusual?
Have you ever had it with bacon before? No? Try it!