breakfast bowls: paleo and non

DSC03912
Most weekends I work on a little cooking project in order to have a few meals pre-made for the upcoming week. I see those Breakfast Bowl commercials all the time and tried my hand at  making up my own. During the week, breakfast around here can be quite rushed, or even bypassed due to sleeping in as long as possible before dashing off to school.  I hope these homemade Breakfast Bowls will encourage my Team to eat the most important meal of the day.  On Saturday I took about an hour to roast some  golden potatoes and   bratwursts, along with sauteeing some fresh spinach and frying up some bacon.

DSC03883

DSC03887

On Sunday, I took that wonderful bacon grease from my bacon, added a little schmear to a pan and scrambled one dozen eggs until they were fluffy but still creamy. For these bowls you will want to cook your scrambled eggs until they are still on the wet side since you will be reheating these in the microwave- we wouldn’t want rubber eggs now would we? Have you ever tried Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs?  Give their website a go for some really nice egg recipes and if you’re funny about raw eggs like me, then pasteurized eggs are a good choice for dishes that call for raw or under cooked eggs.

DSC03905
Once the eggs were done, I placed all the ingredients out, and in assembly line fashion designed delicious Breakfast Bowls. I used various sized wide-mouth jars (8 and 16 ounce.) Remember, do not get hung up on the jars, use what vessel suits your needs.  The point: Pack Eat!

List of ingredients:
Roasted Golden Potatoes:  Peel and 1/2 inch dice 2 huge potatoes, and toss with a few splashes of olive oil, a good pinch of salt and pepper, and a few generous pinches of rosemary.  Place in a single layer on a foil-lined large jellyroll pan and roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes stirring half way through to prevent sticking.

Breakfast Sausage and Weisswurst: Place these sausages on top of your potatoes and roast along with them. Once cooled, slice.

Bacon: Slice the bacon (12 ounce package) into 1/2 inch pieces and fry over low heat until crispy. Save the grease for scrambling the eggs and other foods.

Eggs: Scramble 12 eggs with a good pinch of salt and pepper and a small splash of water, pour into medium skillet over medium low heat in which you have melted 1 tablespoon bacon grease. Cook eggs, constantly stirring until fluffy and still slightly wet.

Sautéed Spinach: Sauté a 6 ounce bag of organic baby spinach in a bit of bacon grease and a few dashes of garlic salt until wilted.

Other ingredients: Sauerkraut (I used an organic brand from my market- I like the idea of getting more fermented foods in my diet), baked sweet potatoes (I had some left over), shredded cheese, spicy mustard

DSC03927

Combinations: You can leave the cheese off to make these paleo.
potatoes, bacon, eggs, cheese
potatoes, sausage, eggs, cheese
potatoes, sausage and bacon, eggs, cheese

Paleo:
potatoes, sauerkraut, weisswurst, eggs, mustard
sweet potatoes, spinach, bacon, eggs
sweet potatoes, spinach, weisswurst, eggs

Assembly:
Layer each ingredient in desired sized jars or container of choice. You can control your portion sizes this way.  The jars fill quickly, so not much of each ingredient is needed.  Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.  Reheat each meal in the microwave for about one minute, stir, and devour.

DSC03909
What would you put in your Breakfast Bowl?

Tip: Designing Breakfast Bowls are a great way to layer in leftovers. No waste!

*I am one of the Darling Dozen for Safest Choice™ Pasteurized Eggs, therefore this is a sponsored post, all photos, recipes, and tips, are my own.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. Posted 10/28/2013 at 9:52 AM | Permalink

Wow! These look delicious! Thank you!

2. avatar Mrs. Z
    Posted 10/28/2013 at 10:31 AM | Permalink

Good morning! I am new to your site and just adore all of it, especially the Mason Jar meals….what great ideas! Keep them coming!

3. avatar Wendy C
    Posted 10/28/2013 at 10:41 AM | Permalink

I don’t eat breakfast often, “no time” is my usual excuse. This should help! Thank you!!!

4. avatar Joyce Kinsey
    Posted 10/28/2013 at 12:30 PM | Permalink

Love it! I love being able to make things that use up a complete package of uncooked food. All eggs cooked, bacon and sausage cooked-so much better starting out my week with a refrigerator full of cooked food instead of half cooked-half uncooked and not really sure what I have to eat!
    We love breakfast here-but having to clean the egg pans every morning gets to be an extra chore on a busy morning. Would love for my kids to reach for a protein centered meal instead of a carb loaded bowl of cereal!

5. avatar Sharon
    Posted 10/31/2013 at 5:43 PM | Permalink

These are great! My husband will eat anything with bacon in it, or cooked in bacon. Pork is a very close second. Have you ever made sausage egg cups? They are a staple in our home. We make large batches and freeze them and then reheat in the toaster oven. They would be a perfect mason jar meal. Here is a basic recipe, but feel free to embellish with greens and veggies of choice, we do. http://dutchovendiary.blogspot.com/2010/06/sausage-and-egg-cups.html

~Sharon

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 11/01/2013 at 7:18 PM | Permalink

Those sausage cups look so good, like an easy version to scotch eggs. Thanks!

6. Posted 11/02/2013 at 10:22 AM | Permalink

I saw your post on facebook and knew I needed to do this. I enjoy cooking but don’t like the clean up. So this is perfect…I can cook and clean everything one time. This is the weekend to cook!

7. avatar Cary
    Posted 11/12/2013 at 5:31 PM | Permalink

how many servings does this make? it’s just me so not sure i could eat them all in 4 days. could you freeze them??? thank you these look delish!

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 11/12/2013 at 5:54 PM | Permalink

Cary,
      The great thing about this is you can make as many as you like and portion them as you like. Some I make bigger than others depending on my meal needs- sometimes I want a snack and sometimes I am hungry for a bigger meal. Yes and they do freeze well, I figure if the food industry can freeze these type of commercial meals we home cooks can too. I have five in my family so we go through these quickly and not only eat them for breakfast but dinner too on those nights when we are all going in different directions. Thanks for the question. Enjoy!

8. avatar Wendy C
    Posted 11/19/2013 at 12:57 AM | Permalink

thank you, SO much!

I made these today, it took me an hour (made the bacon last night), and I had 12 pints of breakfast bowls. They are YUMMY! I am terrible at making breakfast, and this will defineately help :) *hugs*

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 11/19/2013 at 8:26 AM | Permalink

Yay! So glad to be of help!!

9. avatar BarbaraD
    Posted 11/19/2013 at 11:56 AM | Permalink

I’d make overnight, slow cooker apple pie oatmeal, then put it into several jars. (I’ll happily share the recipe, if you want.) I’d also make some silver dollar pancakes, top with bacon and or sausage chunks, ready to heat and top with maple syrup. My scrambled eggs would be cooked with chopped onions and green pepper, and topped with bacon. Himself won’t eat eggs, so he gets oatmeal or the pancakes with no-sugar syrup. A few jars filled with citrus salad would be nice alongside any of these! (I live in Florida, after all.) I’d also enjoy chunky mango pieces.

10. Posted 01/02/2014 at 6:45 PM | Permalink

I noticed with jar salads that layering ordered mattered. Thoughts on these? Looks like potatoes first, eggs last?

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 01/03/2014 at 2:03 PM | Permalink

I like the potatoes or heavier veg at the bottom then eggs on top. I do eat these out of the jar or dump them out and stir them up anyway,so it may not matter, but I think the layers look pretty;)

One Trackback